ad: HamHats-1

630 Meters Ground Wave Evaluation Network 630m GWEN

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by AA8SH, May 13, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. AA8SH

AA8SH Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello fellow amateurs from Clark AA8SH.

A month ago I began calling CQ 474.0 khz, as able, each Saturday and Sunday 9:30 AM local time to test local daytime ground wave on 630m, as seen here: https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?th...ucky-8th-region-weekend-mornings1330z.809773/

The results have been promising such that I now ask all amateurs everywhere to participate in a Ground Wave Evaluation Network.

If you can transmit on 630m, please call CQ using CW on 474.0khz or on the nearest clear frequency each Saturday and Sunday at 9:30AM your time. If you make a contact or hear any other station calling CQ, please post your results here and on Slack #khz or email the results to me so that I can post them here.

If you can receive on 630m but can not transmit, please listen for any transmitting station and if any are heard, please post your results here or email me so that I can post them here. If you have a dipole you may want to configure it as a Marconi T in order to listen with a vertically polarized antenna.

By participating in GWEN, either as a transmitter or as a receiver, you will help others make an informed evaluation of the potential of 630m ground wave in their region. You will also be helping to "warm up the band."

Absolutely all signal reports, feedback, or suggestions will be appreciated.

Clark AA8SH

N3AWS, AC8NS, KJ7YOX and 2 others like this.
  2. AA8SH

GM all, called CQ 474.0 GW this morning, worked Ralph K8RYU 339, his report to me 539, no fading. Was copied by Charlie N8RR on his 160m L. Charlie's report was S4 with noise below S-1 on his S-meter. Charlie could also hear Ralph solid. Will call again tomorrow 0930 local.

N3AWS and M1WML like this.
  3. AA8SH

GM All,

Called CQ 09:30 local to 09:45, no QSO. Was heard by Rick WB8JUI just at his noise level. Rick made several calls, but I could not copy. Hope to eventually reduce noise and improve low angle pattern here to improve.

Was copied by Charlie N8RR peaking S5 on his 160m L. His noise is S0 with preamp 2 engaged. He reports our distance as 37.1 miles. He heard no other stations.

TU Fellows,

Clark AA8SH

M1WML likes this.
  4. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The acronym for this project should be modified to better reflect the activity. I suggest: "GWEN-SITE-SAM"

Ground Wave Evaluation Network - Static In The Ear - Saturday/Sunday A.M." ;)

5. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I thin that's an official military designation. I like it.

N3AWS, N1GKE and M1WML like this.
  6. AA8SH

Ok Fellows, I acknowledge appropriating the GWEN acronym, but I am very serious about the "Evaluation." We won't be able to evaluate what is possible with 630m groundwave until we try it. As far as the noise goes, it's only noisy two mornings per week and then only when I'm in receive. When I'm transmitting, noise is not a problem at all! Meanwhile I'm getting good at sending my call... TNX Clark

N3AWS, N1GKE, K0TWA and 1 other person like this.
  7. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll be giving a talk on low frequency receiving techniques at Dayton next week. Sunday afternoon. Hope some of you can make it.

N3AWS, M1WML and N3RYB like this.
  8. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

That would have been the AN/URC-117 Ground Wave Emergency Network. That USAF communications network program wasn't fully realized, and was apparently de-funded in the middle 90's.

N3AWS, M1WML and AD7SK like this.
  9. AA8SH

Going to Dayton, will not be transmitting this weekend. Will be on next weekend. If anyone else cares to make some weekend calls, please do. Please send your HF neighbors a link to this post so they can listen to your transmissions. Thanks!

10. AA8SH

I had hoped to be there for your talk but chose to come home today. Good luck tomorrow. Clark

11. AA8SH

Met with 630m ops today at Hamvention. We discussed using digital for 630m ground wave evaluation. I can't do digital at this time, still CW only, but am very interested in what might be done. Thoughts?

12. AA8SH

Will call CQ 474.0 tomorrow 09:30 local and will post any results here.

13. AA8SH

GM All,
    Called CQ 09:30 local to 09:40, no QSO. Was copied by Charlie N8RR peaking S4 mostly S3 on his 160m L. His noise is S0 with preamp 2 engaged. He heard no other stations replying. TNX Charlie.

Will call next Sat and Sun 09:30 local.

Clark AA8SH

14. N3RYB

N3RYB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I really enjoyed both of the talks. I came for the digisonde part, but enjoyed and learned a lot more from the VLF presentation. Got two talks for price of one ;) Good stuff!

M1WML likes this.
  15. AA8SH

This week I have heard from four 630m ops interested in weekend ground wave evaluation. They are in northern and southern Ohio and northwestern Pennsylvania. This coming Saturday and Sunday we plan to call CQ, as able, at 9:30AM local time. If any one of us can hear two of the others, then we may try a 630m relay just for fun. Relaying by 630m ground wave would be quite something! If you are not on 630m but have a low band vertical or dipole, you may be interested in listening. Please post any signal reports here or email reports to me. Every signal report is important. If you are listening but not hearing anything, I would like to know about that too. The evaluation is not just an evaluation of propagation but of participation and interest. All feedback matters. TU ALL

N3AWS likes this.