630 Meter transmitter only kit?

Discussion in 'The Low Bands - 630/2200 Meters - VLF' started by WA4ILH, Oct 8, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. DF2JP

DF2JP Ham Member QRZ Page

KA0HCP likes this.
  2. DF2JP

DF2JP Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Guys,

simple but good transmitter for 630m is the Ultimate3 kit as described by John. The assembly takes a few hours, it is only wired components to process and the success is certain.
    So you can then send CW and various digi-modes.
    However, handling for QSO modes is difficult, for QSY e.g. you have to go through all the programming.

Various transverter systems have already been mentioned.

Real MF transmitters are still in surplus. But this is probably like in the US as here in the EU, the prices have, since the release for amateur radio, "gone through the roof". 10 years ago I bought a Hagenuk MS-90 (a quartz-controlled emergency transmitter for MF, 90W out) for € 50.- at a flea market, today you pay at least € 400.-

[​IMG]

With a small, programmable DDS you can replace the cristalls and has a tunable transmitter

e. g. https://www.sdr-kits.net/PA0KLT-Kits

The antenna tuning (Variometer) is already installed, because you only need a few meters of wire

[​IMG]

Very useful are also old Exiter from ship radio systems, I do not know the brands used with you, here in the EU Hagenuk, Skanti, Telefunken was market leader. Now and again, these exits are offered at moderate prices, so I've gained over the years, a small collection. These exciters are tunable and can operate all modes, output 100 mW, behind which the signal must be amplified.

Here an Hagenuk EX1001

[​IMG]

Here is my current TX for MF / LF, a Hagenuk EX-1010 (last year for € 50 in Holland)

[​IMG]

Such equipment must also be in the US in the market?
    The Navy and the merchant navy is so big, you have to get there?
    The stuff is no longer used today, for the HAM is it gold, for the former users it is scrap.

73 Joe

K8PG and KI6J like this.
  3. W4HWD

W4HWD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Here’s you a 630m (and down) transmitter - you gotta pay for shipping though:
    40BFE82A-1D3A-4764-9779-F9028C8F9561.jpeg
    Call Antonov Airlines for a quote.

N2AMM and K8PG like this.
  4. WQ2H

WQ2H QRZ Lifetime Member #214 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Or, you could keep it simple and try the W5DFN transverter. He builds 2 versions; a 25W version and a 0dB version.

This is the 25W version (under the fan) - pretty simple using split Rx/Tx on your transceiver. I also picked up the 0dB version and coupled it to a K5DNL 100W Amp. The Scopematch makes it easy to tune the antenna for those who do not have an SWR meter for <500kHz.

Good luck! 73 - Jim, WQ2H

WQ2H_Setup_17Feb2020.jpg

K8PG likes this.
  5. KE4LH

KE4LH Ham Member QRZ Page

Threads a little old but I would like to know something....
    If I build a radio or kit, how many people would be willing to buy it? Even if it's a labor of love, it still takes money to do it and money doesn't go very far now days..
    Tom
    Ke4LH