6146B tubes

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by WU0L, Sep 15, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. WU0L

WU0L Subscriber QRZ Page

Are those 6146B tubes from China good?

2. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've had good luck with the Taylor 6146Bs sold by RF Parts.

3. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

+1

4. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

There are some 6146A / 8298 and 6146B / 8298A tubes from China that are between 1/2-inch and 3/4ths-inch taller than those that were made in this country. Those tubes will not work in the Collins S-Line / KWM-2- series and the Heath SB-Line / HW-Line of equipment. With those tubes, the plate cap comes in contact with the top plate of the final amplifier compartment. I have run into that situation with tubes that were furnished by clients to use in their equipment.

Since I try to stay clear of such tubes from China, I have absolutely no idea if those sold by certain outlets in this country are prone to the too high problem.

Glen, K9STH

5. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

I don't know if the one's from China are any good or not, but I just checked and there's plenty of American brand 6146B's available on Ebay.

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I didn't check "today," but RF Parts used to have, and usually had, lots of American-made NOS 6146's and Merit would advise which ones worked with which rigs.

I think last time he told me the "GE brand" 6146Bs he had were very good; they're not recently manufactured, they're all NOS but he does provide a warranty on them and does test them. Haven't checked in about a year, so not sure if he still has those, but it's probably worth a phone call.

7. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Arent those Chinese ones copies of the Japanese S2001? The originals anyway are excellent tubes.

Carl

8. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

If 6146B / 8298A, they would be copies of the Japanese S-2001A. The S-2001 is the equivalent of the 6146A / 8298.

The original Japanese tubes are, normally, very good to excellent. I have not tried any of the Chinese 6146B tubes for a couple of years. In the past, the quality has been mixed but the majority of the tubes were not satisfactory, at least for those that I have had in my possession. OK for audio, like for the modulators in the Johnson Valiant series, but definitely not so good for r.f.

Glen, K9STH