60M on ICOM 756

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by WA1ZPD, Feb 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. WA1ZPD

WA1ZPD Guest

Can the Icom 756 PROII be modified to work 60 meters?

2. WA1ZPD

WA1ZPD Guest

Well, I guess this board is broke.

3. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Ham Member QRZ Page

According to Mods.DK it can be modded. You'll have to login there to get it. I modded my PRoIII for 60m. Was a diode or zero ohm resister.

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

4. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

A couple of items to remember, the ability to operate on 60 meter was granted by the National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) -- BUT not the full rights requested (petitioned) by the FCC and desired by ARRL.

NTIA's opposition, cited ongoing spectrum requirements of federal government licensees (agencies)
    having Homeland Security responsibilities.

You will sometimes hear other government, Homeland Security or military users -- they are Primary Users and have precedence. Needless to say -- these channels are monitored.
    I routinely hear traffic on one channel from the Ohio River valley region.

ARRL - Frequently asked questions about 60 meters
    http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/faq-60.html

This chart from the NTIA suggests appropriate tuning frequencies for each center-channel frequency:

SEE the CHANNEL CHART supplied by NTIA, on the ARRL web page (above), to ensure that you are within the channel if your radio has a lower audio bandpass of 100 Hz or higher--which should apply to most commercial amateur transmitters/transceivers.
    The FCC expects your "occupied bandwidth" to be within the 2.8 kHz channel. This means--assuming a --1.5 kHz suppressed-carrier offset--you must keep your audio bandwidth between 100 Hz and 2900 Hz (2.9 kHz) to ensure that you do not go outside the 2.8 kHz channel.
    Most modern transceivers default to an SSB bandwidth in this range, but some are capable of bandwidths on SSB of 3.0 kHz or greater.

My recommendation to any 60 meter user is to PROGRAM these 5 channels
    into your radio's Memory Channels -- So that you will not make errors or interfere with NTIA users.

w9gb

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  5. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Expecting commercial service levels for a FREE LUNCH?
    NO. Assistance provided is from volunteers, who give of their free time.

NOW, IF you desire for paid support and assistance,
    then the appropriate service level (answer) will reflect what you pay and contribute.

w9gb

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  6. W6GQ

W6GQ Swap Meet Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Yes the 756 PRO can be modified.

As for the mod here,,,

Please read about mods on QRZ,

CLICK HERE FOR QRZ MODIFICATION INFORMATION

Thanks and enjoy the forum

7. WA1ZPD

WA1ZPD Guest

KD4MOJ, thanks for that. Now, I just have to click on the right mod to get the info. LOL, they only let you click one a day unless you donate. Shouldn't take me more than 3 days to get the right one. Thanks again

8. WA1ZPD

WA1ZPD Guest

W9GB, that's a good link. I'm gonna have to get a fresh coffee before I read that. LOL

9. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep that is what I did... made the 1st 5 channels on my ProIII the 60m freqs. probably can just eliminate "channel 3" since all you hear is data on that most of the time.

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

10. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page

ZPD:

How fast you get a response has nothing at all to do if you are a subscriber or not. What GB was saying is that any response that you get here on QRZ.com is voluntary and it is NOT like if you are paying a company for technical service.

I can understand you wanting an answer to your question. But, you have to realize that you will NOT get a meaningful response until someone who knows the answer to your question just happens to read your question and then reply. No one is obligated to answer your question and posting a comment like your second post tends to "turn off" people and therefore someone who might have known the solution could very well have been "turned off" by your comment and therefore did not reply.

I have seen people posting a question and within like 15 minutes start posting comments like your comment basically demanding an answer to their question. Certain individuals just do not understand that it takes time for people to get home, get on the Internet, "discover" the question, and then offer advice. Sometimes it takes several days for a person with the knowledge to give a meaningful answer and therefore patience is needed.

Basically, QRZ.com is a service that costs you nothing to use unless you do want to support the site by becoming a subscriber. Since you hold a valid amateur radio operator's license you do have just as many privileges as those who do subscribe. There are certain things, like being able to merge the callsign "lookup" with external programs, that only subscribers do have. However, in general, it doesn't matter if you become a subscriber or not.

Glen, K9STH
    Head Moderator QRZ.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.