60m on IC-736

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by N9IZ, Sep 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: QSOToday-1
  1. N9IZ

N9IZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Greetings to all. Last week I picked up a used ICOM IC-736. I'm currently in the process of cleaning it all up as the prior ham was a smoker. I've been working it over with Armor All multi purpose cleaner and compressed air. As I was inspecting the documents that came with it I found an original receipt from that showed the the price of the radio and the MARS/CAP mod. I know the original owner was a MARS operator for awhile so maybe that was the purpose of this mod. At any rate, I'm not in MARS but figured that this mod would allow 60m operation. Maybe someone could tell me how to access the five channels on the 60m band? Do I just directly enter the frequencies in from the keypad and save them to memory or should I set the radio to 40m band and tune down to 5 MHz? Or I guess I could set 80m and tune up. Just curious as to the best or preferred method. I plan to put the radio back together soon and hook up to my dummy load for testing soon. Looks like it'll be a neat little radio. Thanks.

Jeff

2. K8YZK

K8YZK Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Jeff , I had a IC-736 years ago, and going from ham bands to open all the way is a little slide switch behind the front panel. My suggestion is to use it on 60 meters is to program the xmit freq's into maybe 1 thru 5 memories and go from there.

If you decide to get rid of the IC-736 let me know.

Kurt

3. AB8ZL

AB8ZL Ham Member QRZ Page

Be careful when programming the frequencies, the FCC lists the center frequency for each of the 5 USB channels. Your radio will display the carrier frequency, not the center frequency.

Display .............. FCC Channel
    Frequency ........ Center Frequency

5.33050 MHz ........ 5.33200 MHz
    5.34650 MHz ........ 5.34800 MHz
    5.36650 MHz ........ 5.36800 MHz
    5.37150 MHz ........ 5.37300 MHz
    5.40350 MHz ........ 5.40500 MHz

4. N9IZ

N9IZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks

I'll make sure to program those frequencies correctly. I have an updated copy of the ARRL band plan printed out. I think it's got the carrier frequencies on it also. The radio is actually for a coworker. It'll be his first for HF. Will be testing it out and delivering it this week. I think it'll work great for him.

Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.