600W Tuner for Kenwood TS 570D

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by WM5TS, Dec 8, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. WM5TS

WM5TS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Does anyone have any recommendations for a 600W tuner to use with a Kenwood TS 570D? I am considering getting a 600W amp but was wondering what was the best tuner to use with the Kenwood.

2. W7ARX

W7ARX Guest

I would recommend getting a larger tuner simply because at some point, you may upgrade your amp to a larger output and you will have less issues and long term out of pocket with an amp larger then you need...something like the Ameritron ATR-30 is a good amp...

WM5TS likes this.
  3. VE3PP

VE3PP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree, get a tuner than can handle legal limit.
    Tuners are not radio specific. Any legal limit tuner will do the job. I use a Palstar AT1500 when I run my amp.

WM5TS likes this.
  4. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's the amp you are buying the tuner for, not the radio. I agree with the comment that for the little difference in cost you should buy a legal limit tuner. I'm guessing you have an auto tuner in mind rather than a manual tuner. If so, and if you decide you don't want anything more than a 600 watt tuner be careful what you buy. Both LDG and MFJ make "600 watt" auto tuners. However MFJ has been known to overstate the power rating of some of their tuners and there 600 watt auto tuner is one of them

WM5TS likes this.
  5. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Go for a "legal limit" tuner, regardless of the s0-called rating. The 600 W tuners are rated for "best case," (read WELL MATCHED) not worst case, and SWR that exceeds their ratings can cause unexpected and expensive repair co$ts Even 100 Watts can overtax advertised 600 Watt tuners, if the SWR is high..
    Tuner ratings are often misleading. One rated "1000 Watts" may well be able to allow that power level when there is a good match, but as the match (i.e. SWR) becomes less desirable, the match can only allow lower power levels without potential arc-over and substantial damage to the tuner, radio/amp, or both..

VE3PP and WM5TS like this.
  6. PA1ZP

PA1ZP Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi

I agree with wa9svd get a way overrated tuner.
    I even managed to get a 1000 watt tuner into problems with just 100 watts carrier.

So to see what tuner your needing, you also need to consider the antenna your going to tune.
    160 mtrs is often a problem band for most tuners, and certainly if the antenna used for 160 is to small in compare with a full half wave dipole, tuners can be given a very hard time in tuning such an antenna.

Also do you want a hand tuner or an automatic tuner maybe even placed placed right at the antenna feedpoint where the best place is for a tuner.
    Do you want a balanced tuner or a unbalanced tuner running with a balun so you can run balanced (windowline or ladderline) and unbalanced fed antenas (fed with coaxial cable).
    All things that are influencing the choise of your tuner.

Choises you have to make, as we do not know what youre going to tune with this tuner.
    You also have to check if your used antennas, feedlines and connectors will be up to the job of handling 600 watts instead of 100 watts.
    And read and understand and study the manual, before you buy the tuner by downloading it, this will prevent defects and dissapointment.

Best of luck and 73

Jos

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

^Yep. I fully agree.

The "radio" has nothing to do with the choice, only the amplifier and the kinds of antenna systems you'll be tuning do.

Auto tuners can be fast, but I much prefer a good manual tuner and for 600W operation I'd also use a "legal limit" tuner which is far less likely to fail and more likely to have minimal insertion loss.

"The less power you use for transmitting, the bigger your tuner should be" is something I've said for decades and it makes sense: BIG tuners (legal limit type) have much heavier-duty inductors which have less resistance and less loss, thus lower insertion loss in use. "Smaller" tuners have lighter-duty inductors which have more resistance and more loss, thus more insertion loss in use.

The ARRL Lab published a great "tuner review" article in QST years ago (I think in 2004) which compared a lot of tuners and they went to great pains to measure insertion loss as well as matching range on various bands. In that review the one that came out "on top" with greater matching range and less insertion loss was the ATR-30, which coincidentally is the one I use.:p