60 meters

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WB2WIK, Feb 12, 2020 at 1:55 AM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Try 60 meters, it's fun.

I hate the "channelization," but it is what it is, so far.

There's activity, there's propagation and it's kinda fun.

Just had a few QSOs there and KH6PGA was having trouble hearing me, so he went to WebSDR and copied me from some other location (I'll admit, this is still weird to me) and we had a nice chat. I heard him "directly," no Web anything.

But I guess "it's the new way of the world," and as long as the conversation is still RF and wireless, it's ham radio.:p

Give it a shot, there's a lot there and it's an interesting part of the spectrum.

KK4CUL, W9AFB and K0UO like this.
  2. KK4CUL

KK4CUL Ham Member QRZ Page

I like 60m a lot. I'm using a 40m sloper only about 25ft above ground and my internal tuner handles it fine. So it's not the most efficient, but pretty much any time between 5:00pm Eastern and around 9:00PM, I can either call CQ 3-4 times and start a QSO or hop into a friendly conversation. Bunch of laid back, friendly people on 60!

"Channel" 3 seems to always have someone running a digital mode within my RX zone, not sure what it is but I usually can hail someone most frequently on 2.

3. WL7PM

WL7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll go listen now.... which " Channel " are you on ? ( I'll start at the bottom- 5330 kc)
    Sounds goofy to say " channel"
    What chance of opening up an actual frequency BAND there ?
    .edit:
    Calling cq on 5346.5 USB
    Antenna is Inverted V at 40 feet, resonant around 3900kc, AT2K seems to feed it okay.
    Likely losing a few watts in heating up 80 feet of RG213.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020 at 7:46 PM
  4. WB2WIK

The FCC allocation actually called them "channels."

It is weird.

I have my rigs programmed for all five USB "channels" and also all five "CW" channels (which are different center frequencies) and let the rig scan them if I'm puttering around and not sitting in front of the rig. There's often activity, and propagation varies from NVIS to DX. Interesting spectrum slice.

5. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Been on 60 meters since it first became available. It is a very interesting band. Use a vertical quad loop cut for the band. As WIK points out there is a difference between SSB and CW frequencies. The dedicated rig I have for 60 meters is a Japan Radio Corp. (JRC) JST-135. Two very nice features include squelch and scanning which allows scanning the 5 channels for activity. The other feature is the correct frequency is automatic when switching from CW to USB. If you are new to the band please review the regulations that apply only to 60 meters. ERP would be another regulation unique to the band. Have fun.

K0UO likes this.
  6. N2RJ

N2RJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I use it sometimes.

In 9Y I can run up to 1.5kW on it

7. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

I got on 60M to work Navassa on nine HF bands, 160M, and satellite! Also got them on CW, Phone, and RTTY. With just 11 QSOs.

8. WB2WIK

I don't need Nevassa on any of the common HF bands, but never worked it on 160m or 60m.

Damn. Not sure I'd get it from here, I'm farther away and don't have that much patience.:p However I have worked KP4 and KP2 a bunch of times on 160, and "heard" KP4 on 60m but no contact. It's tough with 50W!

One of these days....

9. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

60 is an excellent band. I've also been on since day one.
    I have seen activity go up and down.
    A few years ago, I was very active from Air mobile on 60 which really works good.
    I still run. Mobile, air mobile, and RV portable quite often on that band

It's a great day time band for me up to about 500 Miles. Many of the guys in Texas (south of me) run mobile all day long on Channel 4. Since 40m doesn't work short range any more, it has been a great Band for the closer in contacts in the daytime.

I find it best to also keep a dedicated radio scanning the four USB channels. With a squelch control, I always scan channels 1,2, 4 and 5 since I only worked CW or SSB. The FT8 guys are on Channel 3, You'll find activity there 24/7. However, lately some of them have been coming over to the other channels. And basically causing interference to existing QSOs. I guess they don't turn the volume up and listen.

No need for amps on this band! The ERP restriction puts everybody on equal footing. With good antennas and low noise you can have a lot of fun making contacts.
    The FCC does specifically use the word channels and I think it's for interoperability. I've done a lot of interoperability contacts with Mars stations on some of their exercises throughout the years.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020 at 2:08 AM
  10. WL7PM

WL7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

CQ, CQ
    Calling cq 5330.5 USB