60/40 Lead-Tin to Lead-Free?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by W4XKE, Jul 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-3
  1. N9DSJ

N9DSJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually I thought it only took one; he/she holds the bulb and the world rotates around them (oh wait, I am one of them...)

Bill N9DSJ

2. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

Isn't that somewhere between a circular definition and a self-fulling prophesy?

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

3. W4XKE

W4XKE Ham Member QRZ Page

Well this is some good information. Thanks, guys! This is a great place to learn good stuff here on ol' QRZed. I couldn't have gotten this kind of an experienced response by reading a dozen books on soldering. Always better to talk to the man who has been there and done it.

One answer prompts another related question though:

How do you store solder so it doesn't oxidize before you can use it? I had a roll that I bought a few years ago at a hamfest that was bright and shiny when I put it in my shop. Later I noticed it had turned a dull gray color. When it melts, a slag skim floats on the shiny pool of solder and has caused some grief making minute (tiny) connections.

Should I have sealed the roll inside a glass jar or what? That'd be a bummer to have your lifetime supply of lead solder to go bad in a few years.

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep, it is.

5. W0BTU

W0BTU Ham Member QRZ Page

A pallet of 60/40 or 63/37 might last me and my company the rest of my life. At least as long as I expect to live. I'll be 56 this year. :)

Seriously, I haven't got used to lead free solder, and we've tried several types of it containing different types of flux. Too many years of using the lower temperature leaded solder. (I once calculated that I have soldered over a million connections, and that was over 30 years ago. That's a lot of rolls of solder.)

We mainly switched to lead free out of consideration for our employee who solders a lot.

I once visited a company that mass-soldered printed circuit boards. When it was pointed out to me that their 18" diameter exhaust ducts had to be taken down several times a year to remove the very heavy and thick solder coating from the insides, we made some changes. I think that it means you're breathing lead fumes when you solder, don't you?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.