6 Meters and EU in the PNW

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by K7MH, Jul 6, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
  1. K7MH

K7MH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Surprised I haven't seen any mention of it yet. Here in the PNW (at least) 6 meters has been open to a lot of Europe over the last four days on FT8. Often for several hours! I am just a peanut with 100 watts and 2 elements on my quad for 6 meters so only managed to work OH and SM. A friend of mine I talked to earlier today has big gun gear on 6 and he worked 26 new countries in Europe over the last four days. He had never worked a European on 6 before so needless to say, he was thrilled!

I imagine many other did as well or nearly so. Last time I know of a EU opening was in 2011 where I managed to work 2 of them on CW, an E7 and a 9A. It was far better signal strength but a very short lived opening as I recall.

I guess I should do something with the 6 element beam for 6 I have stored away! Kinda hard to stack it above or below a 5 band quad! Hmmm...Maybe the JK Antennas XR5-JK would be a good replacement!

Anyway...Anyone else have any particularly good 6 meter activity the last week or so??

G0CIQ likes this.
  2. VE6MB

VE6MB Ham Member QRZ Page

...haven't heard anything probably because no one wants to step away from their radio (for fear of missing the opening) to report it. ;-) :) On July 2nd I worked 15 EU stations from Alberta with just a loop antenna, and then two days later Japan opened up and worked 50+..... needless to say it was an amazing week and one that will be talked about for years.

K7MH likes this.
  3. KD9VV

KD9VV Ham Member QRZ Page

JA’S were pounding in tonite 7/7 from 5pm til even now at 8:30..+20db on many decodes.
    This has been one of the better Es seasons imo.
    Like shooting fish in a barrel.
    EU has been easy for the east coast ppl, usually is.
    For you in the PNW it is a challenge to break that eastern wall.

K7MH and G0CIQ like this.
  4. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Worked a JA on 6 today on my little PAR OmniAngle at 30 feet AGL. New best DX for me on the Magic Band!

K7MH and G0CIQ like this.
  5. G0CIQ

G0CIQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I took the 817 and quarter wave magmount up on a local hill here in SE England last night, there was an RSGB 6m Activity Contest between 1900 and 2130 GMT.
    Es was apparent with strong signals from Italian stations across the band, I managed to work a few until around 2000, then I could hear a number of stations up to a few hundred miles distant (in GM, SM, DL etc.)
    A little while later I QSYd down to the CW end of the band and heard @PA4Y calling CQ NA although he was very weak with me...cross polarised I guess. Shortly afterwards I could hear @K4QS but only well enough to confirm his callsign and a partial locator, then @W1XX again just above the noise but could confirm his locator...not sure who he was working though. I did attempt to call him but not surprisingly he couldn't hear my 5W!
    A very good evening for me although it may not be that impressive to some, it's a start and has whetted my appetite for more so hopefully I'll be able to build a better antenna and arrange a little more power.
    73, Simon G0CIQ.

6. MRCONGENIALITY

MRCONGENIALITY QRZ Member

I am in the PNW in Eastern Oregon, but where I live (in a 1000' hole compared to anything else around me) I hear so very little. However, I only have a 10m/12m radio with a vertical with mountains topping 3900' to 9000' surrounding me. I have an Icom IC-706MKII HF/6M/2m radio coming, should be here the first part of next week and then it's to playing with antennas again in a very limited amount of space. Yeah me!

Thanks to @WB2WIK, I am now pointed in a better direction, pun included.

G0CIQ and K7MH like this.