ad: k1jek

6 Meter transverter project

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by KD1JV, Nov 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KD1JV

KD1JV Ham Member QRZ Page

I started on a 20 meter to 6 meter transverter project, the beginnings of which can be seen here: http://kd1jv.qrpradio.com/6METERS/6M transverter.htm

I'm using the 7th harmonic of a 9.126 MHz crystal to generate a 64.5 MHz LO. A 74AC00 is used to generate square waves from the crystal oscillator and the 7th harmonic is picked off with a couple of tuned circuits, similer to what can be seen in EMIRFD, but with out the flip-flop.

I'm actually thinking of making this a stand alone DSB rig using a 14.318 MHz crystal, which will put it on about 50.18 MHz.

73, Steve KD1JV

2. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page

An easier proposition is to use one of the 11.000 MHz crystals (i.e. Mouser part number 520-HCU1100-SX which sell for 53 cents each). Then you double that to 22.000 MHz and then use a 10-meter i.f. That way you do not get inverted sidebands. Also, low powered 10 meter rigs are pretty common.

The very first 6-meter transverter that I built back in about 1968 used a 11.000 MHz crystal for the oscillator injection and worked fine.

I use the 11.000 MHz, 12.000 MHz, and 24.000 MHz clock crystals in 6-meter receiving converters all the time. The reason for 12.000 MHz and 24.000 MHz frequencies is that I have a Collins 75A-2 and a 75A-3 receiver that cover 26.0 MHz to 28 MHz and then 28.0 MHz to 30.0 MHz in 2 ranges. That way I can get the entire 6-meter band from a single crystal.

The clock crystals are pretty robust and the price is just great. The reason that they are so cheap is that there are thousands of each frequency manufactured at a time. If you look at the various frequencies available and use a calculator you can often find several crystals that will work fine for things like converters and transverters.

Glen, K9STH

3. VA7AAX

VA7AAX Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice KD1JV,

Transverters are one area where homebrewing is lacking(well, sort of now that you have started this!)
    always enjoyed your projects!

4. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page

AAX:

Among the more serious UHF "weak signal" types and those who operate on "microwaves" transceiver building is pretty common.

I need to finally finish my 222 MHz transverter. The receiving section is finished and working and the final amplifier stage is complete (uses a 5894 tube and will have an output of around 100 watts). All that I have to do is to finish the transmitter mixer and the lower linear amplifier stages.

Glen, K9STH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.