6 Meter Moxon complete

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by WB1HJS, Aug 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
  1. WB1HJS

WB1HJS Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, I got my 6 meter Moxon complete today, just in time for the end of e-skip season! I decided to get on 6 kind of late, so unfortunately I probably won't get too much out of this. But, it's another first for me -- I'm finally getting on 6 meters after 32 years, thanks to these new-fangled 160 meter to light rigs that are all the rage these days, in my case an FT-897. Never could afford a dedicated 6 meter rig when I was really active and living off of Ramen.

I just got to try it statically today. It's tuned to 52 MHz, but using the 897's SWR bridge, it's got an acceptable SWR without a tuner across the entire band. Front to back is good, I tuned to the K1ST beacon about 20 miles away in Littleton, and he's an S7 off the front, and not moving the meter off the back. It's made of 1/2" angle aluminum, and is up 20' on a chimney mount.

[​IMG]

2. W3HKK

W3HKK Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations. Sure looks nice. Let me know how it works out.

Im like you- never been on 6M but the next rig I get will have 6M capability and I'll have to make decision on what to put up. I tried a 10M Moxon last spring and it was just 6 ft off the ground and maybe 6 ft from an aluminum siding house, so the results were minimal.

One tip: based on he first few antennas I put up above the chimney, the flue gasses will cause substantial corrosion of the hardware over time. So check it out in 6 months to a year to see if youre still ok.

Happy Sixng.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.