ad: ProAudio-1

6 meter magic band ARRL VHF Contest

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KJ4YZI, Jun 12, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KJ4YZI

KJ4YZI Ham Member QRZ Page

Pay no attention to the incorrect video image below.
    This weekend was the ARRL VHF contest, for 6 meters on up to microwave. I managed to get video of only part of my event on 6 meters. Sunday (Today) it was dead all morning and up until 430PM, then after 1 single contact into CT, it was absolutely slammed full within 20 seconds, and there was no open frequency anywhere. By the time I grabbed my camera i already worked close to 200 stations and it started changing, but here is some video on what happens with a 6 meter contest, excuse the beginning and end of the live stream, I had issues. Used my new Hy-Gain LFA-6m4el loop fed yagi, and 100 watts on my FT-450. Yagi was up about 18 feet on a mast with a rotator. Also my radio is getting replaced soon, with an FT-991. If you notice, my receive is OK but the signal meter just doesn't match up. So if i give a 59 report, it sounds like a 59, but the meter doesnt show it.

Attached Files:

K5MTY likes this.
  2. WB8LBZ/SK2023

WB8LBZ/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

You haven't learned by now, in a contest they are all 59 or 599. It takes too long for an honest signal report.

73, Larry WB8LBZ
    El Paso, TX

K7VNE, K3RW, W6ERM and 2 others like this.
  3. KJ4YZI

I like to give an honest signal report, but when i get multiple stations telling me i am slamming them with 59+30 and i give them a 53, of course it must sound like i have no idea what i'm saying. I can tell when they sound 59 here.

4. KJ4YZI

I guess the video thumbnail image corrected itself.

5. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Signal reports are unnecessary on the June VHF contest. Just your grid square and call are all that's needed.

Got a few contacts but I wasn't even trying. Running a 5btv and a TS-590S.

Have fun
    Gary

AK5B and K3XR like this.
  6. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Made a few contacts in the contest mostly 6 and 2 ..6 open afternoon into evening mostly to the south Ga, Fl, Al etc.

7. KJ6TTR

KJ6TTR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Larry - signal reports are not exchanged in the VHF contest, so what are you talking about? I'm guessing it's simply general whining, moaning, and complaining without any factual support. This is a good example of that "fake news" folks have been talking about.

KA2LIM and WU8Y like this.
  8. N7JI

N7JI Ham Member QRZ Page

When I was living in Maryland (FM19, up until 1998), I worked a TON of 6m stations during VHF contests using a dipole and 10 watts.

Moving to Eugene, Oregon (CN84) has made me discover the differences.

1) Sporadic E openings happen about 10 times more often east of the Mississippi than in the Pacific NW.
    2) When there's a good opening, east of the Mississippi you could pretty much find someone to work.
    3) In the Pacific NW, if you hear a beacon, it might be located on a remote mountaintop, so you might still not find folks to work.
    4) In the Pacific NW, it's very possible to not have much indication at all of a decent opening.

When the band is good, 10 watts and a dipole will still work.

To those back east, enjoy your frequent openings!

Oh, and thanks to KH6TU for being a first-ever 6m contact (CW) with Hawaii (grid BL10) today (after 32 years). I would have received a 119 signal report, and I would've happily taken it.

Scott N7JI

Have fun with the Magic Band!

K3RW and N4GST like this.
  9. N3HEE

N3HEE Ham Member QRZ Page

We enjoyed a very nice Es opening starting mid Sunday afternoon and lasting into Sunday evening in FM19. I was only running 100 watts into a home brew moxon up 20 feet pointed in a southern direction. No rotator. Doesnt take much to have fun on 6 meters when the band is open. Worked KJ4YZI, who was very loud, and many others. Fun !

N4GST and W8YPV like this.
  10. WM6H

WM6H Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow!
    It's difficult to believe this is the same contest we just had in the Midwest. Only a few short/weak openings Saturday afternoon.
    I'm new to VHF and was surprised to see the activity was on CW during the bad propagation. I expected USB and some FM on VHF but all the CW on 6 meters showed its more than a HF mode. I need to keep my CW sharp.

11. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Had some fun in the contest, mostly later on Sunday. From FL the propagation then was mostly into New England, Mid-Atlantic, and East North Central. Unlike the weeks previous, nothing much west of the Mississippi. Many thanks for those QSOs with my little 100w and 5 el low antenna.

And, the Magic Band is not done yet! Worked CT1HZE early this morning (Monday) - Oohrah!

73 de John - WØPV

12. WF4W

WF4W Ham Member QRZ Page

that's good advice for any band :)

If I was a new ham I'd be learning CW - usually lots of CW activity even when bands are "dead"

KK5R and N4GST like this.
  13. K1FBI

K1FBI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

CW Propaganda :rolleyes:

KF6NFW likes this.
  14. N2RRA

N2RRA Ham Member QRZ Page

That's absolutely not true!

I agree in most contests it is a 5 by 9, but when your 5 by 9+ they mention it and most cases through a pile up with experience you know your 5 by 9.

During this contest I actually had EM, EN and EL stations tell me my actual report and even more so on CW.

15. N2RRA

N2RRA Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe it's just because your too slow to learn it. Haters always gonna hate.

KK5R and K3XR like this.