ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KD0CDT

KD0CDT Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm thinking of buying a quad mobile like the FT8900 but I've read some posts here and there that opine that FM on bands other than 2M/70cm is "a waste of time" in favor of an all-mode. What's the conventional wisdom re all mode vs. FM? Realistically, I'm a ways away from getting my General - too much to learn (i.e. everything) in my Tech class before moving on I think. Most of my work I would expext to be mobile as opposed to setting up a shack. Thanks for any insight.

2. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

If you became a ham for the tecnical challenge-

Than once you experence the weak signal modes on vhf/uhf- mostly ssb/cw- I predict you will rarely spend any time on any repeaters.

On the other hand, if all you want to do is talk, fm is the way to go, lots of guys to work, and you can tell each other what rig to buy, and where you send it to be repaired.

Rege

3. KL7AJ

KL7AJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yip....just about said it all.

4. KR2D

KR2D Ham Member QRZ Page

10m FM phone is not available to Techs, so until you get your General, you can't use 10m on the FT-8900.

On the other hand, Techs can use SSB phone (only - not FM or AM) on 10m between 28.300 and 28.500. Digital and CW are available to Techs on 10m between 28.000 and 28.300. And don't forget about CW on 80m, 40m, and 15m.

Compare the price of the FT-8900 and the FT-857D. Unless you really need cross band repeat and dual receive as provided in the FT-8900, the FT-857D seems like much more bang for the buck. It will give you a taste of almost everything that ham radio has to offer in one box.

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

::I agree with this 100%. Techs cannot use 10m FM, so that band would be wasted for you until you upgrade. 10m SSB, on the other hand, is pretty interesting and very much available to you "now."

WB2WIK/6

6. KC0UWF

KC0UWF Ham Member QRZ Page

unless you have 6m and 10m repeaters localy, forget it. I went with the 7800 and it has worked very well with me. it'll be in your truck/car so load up the local freq's, repeaters and simplex, and go for it.

I have a 6 meter radio that monitors 52.525 at the base all the time, and I've had exactly 2 contacts on it. one was a during a band opening, and the other was a buddy that also had a 6 m radio in his car for a while.
    if you realy want a 10m mobile, look up an old radio shack 10m moble

I went with the 7800 instead of the 8800 and used that extra 100bux to buy a nice Hustler moble antenna.
    later on I got an 1802 for work car and wifes jeep.
    hope this helps
    Mike

7. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I had a 6 meter mobile here for many years, and had a total of 2 QSO's on it. And, one of those was on a trip to the neighboring state where there are a lot of 6 meter repeaters.

On the other hand, every summer and for a short time in December each year, 6 and 10 both open up for Eskip. Now, you may make contacts on FM that way, but nearly all of the Eskip action is on SSB.

I agree with the recommendation to get the 857 instead. If you're looking for a home station instead of a mobile, consider the IC-746 family, instead. The IC-7000 is also great, but I like mine too much to use it as a mobile.

8. K2QI

K2QI Ham Member QRZ Page

I am /AG and just got my FM board for my Yaesu FT-840. I was able to tap into a couple of the local 10m FM repeaters in my area and it was nice working some of the guys on 70cm HT's (the repeaters are linked).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.