5BDXCC Plaque: less than advertised

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by W5MT, Apr 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Getting close to 4BDXCC. 80m is a long stretch.

2. K5WY

K5WY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Keep at it. 80 should be doable, even fone, from the east coast if you have any kind of decent antenna. Maybe not this time of year, but over the winter it gets easier.

If you're short on 10M you might have to wait a couple years...

3. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

What are you using for an antenna on 80m? A quick look at your QTH it looks like you have some decent trees in your front/back yard for a decent size / high dipole. As mentioned, from the East coast DXCC should be do-able. I have a postage stamp sized lot and squeezed a 102' dipole fed with 600 ohm open wire... 180 countries so far on 80m. Digital modes / CW & focusing on propagation timing helps. Watch the dxpeditions & get on the contests such as CQWW. I do find on 80m having a little "heat" helps (I'll use a SB-200 sometimes w/CW or SSB to help get through).

4. WB9LUR

WB9LUR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

LOTW QSL'd #100 on 80M last week...

Received 5BDXCC #9437 yesterday - so, now onto 6BDXCC! The certificate is nice - not too sure about ordering the plaque.

Randy / WB9LUR

W7UUU and KJ4VTH like this.
  5. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats on 5B! As you close in on 6,7,8B you'll find you're also getting close to DXCC Challenge too...

There is a certificate for 5BDXCC in addition to the plaque? I've never seen / heard of one (I just have the plaque).

6. WB9LUR

WB9LUR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, they do have a certificate - nicely done too. Might wait on plaque until I have a few endorsements. Only need one for 6B but after that it gets tough ... planning to build an 160 antenna before fall gets here.

Randy / WB9LUR

7. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am so close to 7 Band DXCC I can taste it.

upload_2019-7-24_16-23-10.png

What?

nevermind

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    WA4CZD likes this.
  8. W2SKI

W2SKI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Here is one I had made from a scan a nice OM sent me. TNX Bernhard, DL4CW! I edited to correct the red border in the scan, but I made it a little too thick compared to the 5BWAS. Just need to make the plaque, as it is an odd size (10x12) and add the engraved plate. I think it will look OK. Cost for the tile was around $22.00, engraved plate was $23.00, add a scrap piece of wood and some time to route out for the tile and stain. I'll post a picture of the completed plaque when its done.

IMG_3738.JPG IMG_3740.JPG IMG_3744.JPG IMG_3839.JPG

73, Rich
    W2SKI

Attached Files:

W5MT likes this.
  9. W5MT

W5MT Ham Member QRZ Page

Rich, the tile looks awesome! Very impressive. How did you make it?

I hate to impose on you, but if you'd be interested in making another, I'd certainly take care of your costs, postage and some extra hobby fun money.

I'm sure you've seen the pics of mine, but the contrast is so bad, it's really embarrassing to show to others folks that are familiar with what it should look like, or rather historically has looked like. The difference between the colors of Australia, Greenland and SA is indistinguishable, overall colors are too dark and you lose the contrast between the black borders, and the yellow in the ARRL logos hardly show up.

Although I don't know how they attached the tile to the wooden plaque, I bet if I had a nice tile I could find a way to remove the old and install a new one.

Thanks and GL with the project
    Matt
    W5MT

10. W2SKI

W2SKI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Matt, I'll send you a link via email to the site I used to make the tile. You may have to adjust the border dimensions and thickness. I did my border thickness at 6, I think 4 would have be better (the smallest available for 6x6 tile).

73, Rich
    W2SKI

KB2FCV likes this.