5BDXCC Plaque: less than advertised

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by W5MT, Apr 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
  1. W5MT

W5MT Ham Member QRZ Page

Bob, KQ9J, I agree, they should allow the operator to apply their own endorsement buttons for the very reason you mentioned; then the "straightness" is up to you. While the League may believe they're doing you a favor by applying the buttons before it leaves HQ, it's up to someone at the League to apply those endorsements and they may have a lesser interest (or a "good enough" eye) in your award appearance than you.

I also don't like that they put pre-positioned markers for the endorsements on the new design. An amateur may be perfectly content with a basic 5BDXCC, or one plus the WARC bands, or 160m, and/or 6m. However, unless he has endorsements all the way to 2m (what percentage of the DXCC population is THAT really going to be?), there will always be the glaring holes of the unfulfilled bands that he may not even have an interest in pursuing. If it were me, with my basic plus WARC bands (8BDXCC), I don't think I'd hang one of the new design plaques with the empty 6 & 2m band holes that I have no interest in pursuing (maybe 160 will come my way... some day hihi).

K1BOO likes this.
  2. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed... I think I would want to apply the buttons... the ones on that plaque aren't very straight. I'm not sure I like having the pre-positioned markers either? I would guess most people go for between 8-10 band. I have 8.. close to 9. 6 will take a long, long time from my current qth and setup. 2m? I know of people who have it - all EME'ers. I was on 2m EME for a while.. I managed to work about 25 countries the short time I was on. I guess having those open band holes would bug me to go after it.. who knows?

I wonder with the new 5B plaque design if newly designed DXCC award certificates will follow to have a similar 'look'?

3. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

One idea may be to add mode buttons which could cover up the 6M and 2M holes. As well as 160M if you wanted an eight band "triple play" award.

4. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My 5BDXCC plaque is many, many years old and it was/is pretty decent. When I achieved 7 BDXCC (12 & 17) I just made my own endorsement stickers and affixed them to the plaque. Who is to know anyhow since I don't get many ham visitors to the shack. FWIW since all of my contacts were from the left coast 40 was actually the toughest band. I would have thought it would be 80 but that wasn't the case. The only reason mine is a mixed award rather than all SSB is because to complete 40 meters I had to work some of them on CW. I also had to home brew a 2 element phased 40 meter vertical system directional towards EU/AF in order to complete the task

5. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am scanty on 80 and 40, cuz U gotta be up all night to nail those!! I need my Beauty Sleep! Remember, just like the cats, I need 22 hours of sleep a day. My usual bedtime is about 7PM and I am up at 4 when the Nun gets up. Then I go back to bed and sleep til 11AM or so. Prime Time DXing on 20 is late afternoon. So that is when I nail all my DX

6. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

You could work a lot of DX at sunrise if you were to stay awake for a few hours after getting up at 4. I recently worked ZL on 160 at 5:12 AM. I find the sunrise openings to be easier than the sunset openings. There is often less interference and the pileups are smaller. Sometimes I'll hear Caribbean stations calling CQ in the morning with no takers!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    KB2FCV likes this.
  7. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

Yup.. that is a great time to nab some DX on the low bands! I've set my alarm many times for those hours to chase a dxpedition on the low bands with great success.

8. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

I had to get up early to exhibit my roses at a rose show in Long Island, so I'd be able to get around Manhattan at 6AM, when the traffic was reasonable.
    So, I decided to get used to getting up early, and worked a lot of DX in the process. I just got an LoTW QSL from RA0FF, my 37th zone on 30M!
    11 more zones for WAZ on 8 bands.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    KB2FCV likes this.
  9. W2SKI

W2SKI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am also quite disappointed by the new style 5BDXCC. Would anyone be willing to scan the red-bordered one like this at 600 dpi (or higher?) and email to me? I have found companies that will print on 6x6 ceramic tiles. It would be worth a shot to try. I will be the guinea pig. This is similar to the one I got with my 5(8) BWAS in December of 2015.

73, Rich
    W2SKI

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    K7QDX and W5MT like this.
  10. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

40 wasn't too bad but 80 sure made me miserable at times! I stayed up stupid late on 80 during contests and any dxpeditions I thought I had any chance of working.
    I was a bit younger then so the recovery rate wasn't too bad. I am just glad DXCC on 80 is DONE!!

I don't think much of any of the ARRL plaques. I don't spend the money on them.