572B Tubes for FL2100-B

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by VE3TMT, May 21, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. VE3TMT

VE3TMT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well I think the original Cetrons are finally showing their age. Output power is starting to drop, input power starting to climb.

Looking at the 572B's on RF Parts website, https://www.rfparts.com/tubes/tubes-572b/572b-tay.html I noticed these are made in China. Any feedback on these?

Max

2. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

eChina 572B only lasts 2 years with very active hams. Cetron 572B lasts 25 years. You are stuck with Chinese 572Bs unless you can find NOS Cetron 572B. I would sell the amp and get a 3-500Z amp such as the Amp Supply LK-450, Heathkit SB-1000 or Ameritron AL=80A or AL-80B that cost about $800 used. $200 Chinese 3-500Z are full output after 10 years of use per ham radio operators. Just much cheaper in the long run to change amps.

No matter what the name is on the tube, the only manufacture is Shuguang. Thses 572B are $50 each on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/572B-VACUUM-TUBE/163049071717?hash=item25f67b6465:g:YeQAAOSwf5Ba-wIZ

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  3. KC9PFH

KC9PFH Ham Member QRZ Page

RF Parts is out of 572b stock, they anticipate having the product back in stock in June.

4. VE3TMT

Thank you. May be time to consider another amp.

Max

5. KW4GT

KW4GT Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not going to make any claims about this or that tube lasting x number of years since I don't have any direct experience with 572Bs (much less the years and years of data to back up the claim made earlier in this thread). However, I've heard from several people who have gotten the Chinese 572Bs from ebay and have been satisfied with them, and that apparently they've turned the corner on quality.

6. VE3TMT

I may have to try my luck on the eBay tubes. A new amp or even a good used amp is out of the question at this time. After being together 35 years, my wife and I are finally taking our first International trip (10 days in Italy, in September). Last time we saved for a trip, my furnace decided to give up the ghost.

Max

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Have fun on the trip. When climbing the 136 Spanish Steps in Rome, visit the Trevi Fountain, toss in a coin and make a wish for a free set of 572Bs to be waiting for you when you return.

And don't think about your furnace.:p

KA0HCP likes this.
  8. VE3TMT

Already on the list Steve. Oh and I've cursed that furnace more times than I care to remember!

9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Rome is beautiful, but if you have the chance check out as much of Italy as you can. Great country, great people, great food and be prepared that "dinner" can go on for 6-7 courses and take 3 hours.:)

10. VE3TMT

We're doing two days in Venice, three in Florence and five in Rome. I've already started practicing for the dinner portions!