572 tubes update

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by W8JX, May 15, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W8JX

W8JX Ham Member QRZ Page

I talked to Merit from RF Parts today (he is in charge of 572 program) and the 572 is far for obsolete. I asked him about rumors of envelope issues and he said it was all rumors that did not start with them. They have been getting regular shipments for 6 months the only "problem" is they are trying to get production rate increased as it is still a bit slow. I handled a tube it is nice and even feels good in hand. Look for them to available in limited first come first serve quantities in a few months with it getting better over time. MSRP is 70 bucks. BTW, Ameritron has put AL572 production on hold until they can get tubes. It seems that Ameritron does not want to pay a higher price for tubes as they bought them direct before but RF Parts have exclusive right to tubes being made so time will tell. The good news is do not retire that 572 amp any time soon. One more thing, RF Parts hi pot tests tubes at 7kv and seeing a very low failure rate.

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd ask how many they have back-ordered (e.g., how many they owe to customers) and what the incoming rate is.

3. W8JX

W8JX Ham Member QRZ Page

I did. No comment on back orders but said they got about a 1000 this month. They do not want to put them up for normal sale until they build up a good inventory.

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

So did you get any ?

Were any for sale ?

"I handled a tube it is nice and even feels good in hand", so they have to be good.

Enjoy the show.

5. W8JX

W8JX Ham Member QRZ Page

None for sale at show yet.

6. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

This could be good for homebrewers....

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

$70/ea not too bad, although a new 3-500ZG is $179 and one runs more power than two 572Bs.:eek:

8. W8JX

W8JX Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes but 3-500's are more prone to gas leaks on pins over time. BTW I forgot to mention Merit said he pressed to to go to greater pains when evacuating tubes when they are built and pull vacuum on them for over 24 hrs. Graphite anodes trap oxygen when they are made and you need to more aggressively leach it out. This was a problem in Chinese 572's in past.

9. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

After watching videos of assembly of tubes over there, their biggest problem is how the parts are handled.
    cotton gloves should be used for handling internal parts as fingerprints can offgass for a very long time unless the internal parts are heated to a high temperature.

10. W8JX

W8JX Ham Member QRZ Page

RF Parts has exclusive rights to all tubes being made and is calling the shots.