51-J4 Front Panel Removal

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by WA2FXM, Jun 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. WA2FXM

WA2FXM Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm a little stuck on removing the front panel of a 51-J4. The copy of a Collins manual that I have has the correct knobs and front panel screws to remove, but it doesn't mention anything about removing the mechanical filter switch lever. I've loosened the lever shaft clamps on the inside so it moves freely about the BFO shaft which it sits on but the front tip of the BFO shaft has a wider diameter that the rest of it so the switch lever shaft can't be pulled out by itself. It looks like I have to remove both shafts? I'm assuming loosening the two screws on the coupler to the BFO and the whole shebang will slide out the front? Any collateral damage or unforseen results that will bite me when I put it back together?

WA2FXM - Mark

FilterLever.jpg FilterBFOShaft.jpg

2. WB2GCR

WB2GCR Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, pull the shaft... you have to take off the couplings, you've got a stripped screw on the
    flexible coupler. Could be difficult to remove...

No problems putting it back on... I have one here, I can eyeball the setup, if it doesn't
    come apart as you expect.

3. WA2FXM

WA2FXM Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Bear,
    Coupler off, shafts pulled, front panel removed, broken green/white wire to AVC switch found and repaired, AVC works again.
    WA2FXM - Mark
    20190617_184657.jpg

WB2GCR likes this.
  4. WB2GCR

WB2GCR Ham Member QRZ Page

Once you have the front panel off, good idea to clean and make it look good... :D