500 mhz bands?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by MATTJ, Jan 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. MATTJ

MATTJ QRZ Member

What exactly are the 500mhz bands used for? I did a search and could not find who/what uses freqs. that high. I just wondered since some radios go up to 520 or so. Thanks

Matt

2. WA9ZZZ

WA9ZZZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

MHz

Frequencies from 470 MHz to about 700 MHz are used for UHF broadcast television.

In some large metropolitan areas low UHF channels in the 470-512 MHz range that are not being used in that area for television may be allocated to land mobile services (Part 90).

The closest amateur radio allocations are 420-450 MHz and 902-928MHz.

Added: Here is a link to a chart that shows all the radio allocations in the US: http://www.ntia.doc.gov/files/ntia/publications/2003-allochrt.pdf

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  3. MATTJ

MATTJ QRZ Member

Ah I see ok. Thanks for the reply! Take care.

Matt

4. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

The North American TV channels (VHF) allocations were fluid in 1940s, before and after WW2.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_television_frequencies

TV Allocations in 1950s, with the addition of UHF (and required by TV mfg. in 1963) channels 14-83
    filled the spectrum from 470 to 900 MHz.

1982, creation of spectrum for cellular telephone industry (800 MHz), eliminating TV Channels 70-83
    1995, creation of Personal Communications Spectrum (PCS) 1.8-2.0 GHz (relocating fixed microwave services)
    2009, creation of add'l spectrum for mobile communications (700 MHz), eliminating TV channels 51-69.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  5. MATTJ

MATTJ QRZ Member

Thanks!

Matt

6. KG7FIU

KG7FIU Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice chart, but it's kinda out-of-date (2003). For instance, the 160 meter band now extends from 1800 thru 2000 KHz, not 1800 - 1900.

7. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

View attachment ALLFREQS---------------.zip I have a good text file for freqs, easy to search. Will try to upload it here, if it doesn't work send me your email addy and I sill send it to you. Don't know where I got it or I would include a link.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

8. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Things may have changed but for at least 20 years we used 8 repeater channels from 500 MHZ to, if I recall, 508 MHZ for county wide law enforcement. It was called the "T" band because it was carved out of the UHF TV segment.

9. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's still in use. 470 to 512 MHz, or TV channels 14 through 20. However, the FCC is trying to get users to move to other frequencies in preparation of the 600 MHz auction. If the auction is successful, TV channels 37 through 51 could be reallocated to cellular, leaving only 35 TV channels. Channels 14 through 20 will be sorely needed to accommodate the remaining TV broadcast stations.

10. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's just the way that the 160 meter band is allocated. 1900 to 2000 kHz is a secondary allocation for amateur radio. Even a later issue chart shows it the same way.

http://www.ntia.doc.gov/files/ntia/publications/spectrum_wall_chart_aug2011.pdf

You have to look at the FCC allocations to understand what's going on.

http://www.fcc.gov/oet/spectrum/table/fcctable.pdf

At 1900 to 2000 kHz, there is footnote US290 that describes the situation.

US290 In the band 1900-2000 kHz, amateur stations may continue to operate on a secondary basis to the radiolocation service, pending a decision as to their disposition through a future rule making proceeding in conjunction with the implementation of the standard broadcasting service in the band 1625-1705 kHz.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.