50 watts out only SSB,450D?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KF7WMM, May 29, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
  1. KF7WMM

KF7WMM Ham Member QRZ Page

All of a sudden my old Yaesu 450D will only TX 50 Watts out in SSB per the radio and palstar meters..CW,FM both show 100 watts out..Tuning has changed a bit also..Receive is fine...I have not changed a thing in menus..I did a full reset,no go...What could cause this,Bob/KF7WMM

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Did it used to read higher than that on SSB?

Normally unless you use an oscilloscope or a very good "true PEP" (powered) wattmeter, SSB output should read about 30% of CW carrier power, or 30W on voice peaks as you're speaking. But a very good PEP meter (which requires DC power to operate) could show 100W PEP.

If you can get an SSB rig to show "full power" on SSB with a regular wattmeter, something's wrong and would normally mean a lot of distortion.

3. KF7WMM

KF7WMM Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the reply,until a few hours ago,both meters showed the same,90 to 100 watts out on SSB transmit..If I key down on FM it shows almost 100 out,same on CW..I have a practice key,on SSB key down is only 50 watts,what the heck,Bob

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It should have never shown 100W on SSB. What you're seeing "now" is actually normal; to indicate 100W on SSB is not normal, I suspect something was wrong either with the readings or the rig was being very overmodulated.

WB5YUZ and K7TRF like this.
  5. KB2WVO

KB2WVO Ham Member QRZ Page

got me wondering now... my 450D if u toss a tone to the mic jack.. will show 100 on ssb on radio and xtern meter. on phone voice used. shows peakin 75ish..

wonder what SWRs are showing.. tuner in use when doesnt need to be? tuner not used ? antenna ? coax?
    i know my 450 will kick it back if swr goes high.

6. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Man, I really love this tech talk lingo!

Toss a tone?

Kick it back?

SWRS?

Roger over, over Roger?

Say Billy, ever watch a gladiator movie?

KP4SX, K4VLF and KI7QVR like this.
  7. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

Let me translate. ;)

I was actually going to suggest the same process. You can download an app called "Soundcheck" for your iPhone (I'm sure there are similar apps for Android devices). The app will let you play a constant tone. I use 800Hz as a test frequency. Anyway, activate the test tone and hold the phone by your mic when transmitting ("toss a tone"). My 450 shows 100 watts on SSB when using the 800Hz tone, provided the SWR is under 1.5:1.

If the SWR rises above about 2.0:1, the radio will start to reduce power in order to protect the finals ("kick it back").

Hope this helps. As far as the solution to your problem, I don't know.....

KD2ACO likes this.
  8. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Are you sure? Seems like a sure cure would be to stop reading the QRZ forums, but what would I replace it with?

No, the entertainment value here is much too high to give up...

N6QIC and K2CQW like this.
  9. KB2WVO

KB2WVO Ham Member QRZ Page

wiseguy hey... lol

hey i made one snicker or smile. my job is done .. lol

back to tossin my 6 meter beam back in the sky. so i can fire up the airwaves with my "replace with what u like here" .... lol

KC3RN likes this.
  10. N4MU

N4MU Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm Roger Murdock...Ham radio operator. And stop calling me shirley! (Loved your post). You forgot...
    Come On...