5 watt SDR versus FT817

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KA4VNM, Sep 28, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. KA4VNM

KA4VNM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am thinking trading my now unused IC-746 Pro for one of these two options. I travel a lot for my work where I am in hotels and like the beach. I am also thinking as a survival radio using a battery or solar. I have heard good things about 817 and there are tons of accessories but I have an SDR receiver and its just a lot of fun on the road to use it as an SWL receiver. I have seen a few 5-10 watt SDR transceivers and was looking for opinions as the pros and cons for each. I am leaning towards the 817 simply because its "real"radio and has the bonus of 2 and 440. Let r' rip gents!

Thanks, Pat KA4VNM

2. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

KX2 and a wide band handheld.

So you can listen to local FM with working Botswana on your 5 watts HF rig. CW of course....

3. VK3YE

VK3YE Ham Member QRZ Page

Definitely the FT817. Compact and rugged. Ideal for portable and beach operating.

KU3X likes this.
  4. KM4DYX

KM4DYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm an 817 guy; I've got the solar/battery solution sorted to my satisfaction. I like the fact that the 817 is rugged (for an amateur rig) as Peter says. I like the internal battery, even though I rely on it as a backup only, it still has saved a few QSOs when my primary battery died. I like that it is all mode and all band, 160 and up. Bring on the Zombie Apocalypse.

I don't like that I have to use a Signalink USB for digital; I'd LOVE it if it had an internal soundcard.

I don't know enough about SDRs to comment, except that my dream SDR is one that is integral to a Panasonic Tough Book. Open the lid, attach the antenna, operate.

Al

W8NSI likes this.
  5. K5DH

K5DH Ham Member QRZ Page

From a performance standpoint, you can't beat a KX-3. It's not as portable as the 817 and it doesn't cover 440 MHz, but its receiver will compete with many "big radios" and there are some smokin' deals out there on used ones (many people buy one and then realize that QRP isn't for them). Dual-band HTs are really cheap these days. Get a KX-3 and an FT-60R (available used for $100-ish). You'll be all set!

KU3X likes this.
  6. KM4DYX

KM4DYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Check out OH8STN's youtube channel. He runs an 817 and has done lots of videos on portable operating and battery and solar solutions.

Al

W8NSI likes this.
  7. UT5UQM

UT5UQM Ham Member QRZ Page

Really?
    I think, that mcHF no worse than KX3, but much more cheaper
    I solder my mcHF for about 250 usd included metal case

Attached Files:

K7WFM likes this.
  8. K7WFM

K7WFM Ham Member QRZ Page

That looks like a nice pack radio. Thanks for the info.

9. KA4VNM

KA4VNM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think I am going 817. Thanks to everyone for you comments and guidance.

Pat

10. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

Why not get a youkits HB1-B and a ft-891 combined for about the same price?