5 Mistakes and Tips for Ham Radio Antenna Builders

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VK7HH, May 14, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. VK7HH

VK7HH Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you struggled with building quality ham radio antennas? High SWR? Problems with feedline? Well in this video I explore 5 common mistakes made by antenna builders and some tips to help you get the most from your efforts.

K1TGX and KF5VGK like this.
  2. VK7HH

Please leave a comment here or on the video and like/subscribe with any feedback you may have. I always want to improve the quality of my videos. Thanks!

3. W3MMM

W3MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

Well done!

A nice tidy presentation, getting right to the point and it keeps moving.

My only issue might be with suggestion #1, which is to not deviate from the design. I agree that designs, as published, are typically optimized based on lots of trial and error. However, local conditions may suggest a slight deviation from that design to make it optimal for that location. Like finding that an HF dipole needs to be a bit shorter (or longer) due to the rest of the variables (ground, coax, configuration, height, etc).

If I were to edit the video, I'd edit #1 mistake to say "start with the original design and build it as indicated, make notes of the SWR measurements and compare them to what the designer says the measurements should be. Then tinker a bit if you believe slight changes (typically to element length) can improve the antenna to match local conditions. But be careful - we're usually talking about changes of about 1 or 2%"

I sense that with the first mistake, you're looking for the BIG stuff - like building in cm when the diagram is in inches, leaving out an element, that kind of thing. At that level, you are right. But I'd hate to discourage someone from thinking they can't modify an antenna element a slight bit.

Pretty awesome - I wish I had skills like that!

4. VK7HH

Thanks for the feedback and well noted. I suppose I made the video with those building yagi's in mind and not toward bigger antennas with more variables (i.e. yagi's usually are mounted nice and high on the tower).

Understand where you are coming from though with the HF dipole example.
    Thanks for your suggestions