ad: chuckmartin

5 Band EFHW Antenna 80m-10m

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK7HH, Jul 15, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. VK7HH

VK7HH Ham Member QRZ Page

Here I discuss my experiments and modifications with an EFHW (end-fed half wave) based on the VK4YE design, testing, 80m loading coil, the coax counterpoise, and the common mode toroids. This allows a antenna for smaller spaces and backyards.

R2DSA, PY2NEA, F5OAA and 17 others like this.
  2. KB0TTL

KB0TTL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This seems like an interesting way of using an endfed on 80m if you don't have the property to string around 130' of wire. In limited spaces, most people resort to using relatively short verticals in their yards. The issue is that you most likely won't get the kind of gain with a vertical that you would with one of these.

WA6RE, KD7TWW, N4GST and 1 other person like this.
  3. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Though I have a soft spot for end fed antennas I must ask if you have room and all those trees why not a windom?

DM2TT, UT7UX, MM0XXW and 1 other person like this.
  4. W3TKB

W3TKB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Interesting and informative video; thanks.

Your accent gave me some trouble for a bit. Took me almost half the video before I realized you were saying "tails" and not "tiles". I was sitting here scratching my head...what the heck is a tile?! :confused:

But that's on me.

Good job.

W4KJG and VK7HH like this.
  5. W3AMT

W3AMT Ham Member QRZ Page

Well done!

VK7HH likes this.
  6. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hayden has an accent?

Hayden! Lets take care of that before your next post!:)

K9EZ, AL2I, MM0XXW and 2 others like this.
  7. WB0QWZ

WB0QWZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I love it, I can teach you to speak like Hayden in 2 minutes! take the phrase " Space Race" use spice for space and rice for race. Give it a go. I love Haydens accent and enjoyed the video.

W5AAG, W4MMR, NE5B and 3 others like this.
  8. 7Z1LR

7Z1LR Ham Member QRZ Page

very good :)

VK7HH likes this.
  9. AE5II

AE5II Ham Member QRZ Page

with a little study you find all accents are in the Vowels HIHI 73 KC

NM9X, N4GST and VK7HH like this.
  10. VK2JHK

VK2JHK Ham Member QRZ Page

He has an accent?

And why do you folks all post upside down? :)

PY2NEA, W4AXW, WV9L and 9 others like this.
  11. N2RIC

N2RIC Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice video! Thank you!

I use an EFHW for 80 - 10 in an inverted L set up. I have the room for a dipole or doublet in my back yard, but with two kids and two dogs that like to run around, I went with something that wouldn't get knocked down or ran into when they're outside.

WI8X, WV9L, N1SAK and 2 others like this.
  12. VK7HH

It’s a bit deceiving as most of those trees weren’t on my property. The tree that it was strung up in, just happened to be the perfect length to fit the antenna in, anything else was too long

KC7JNJ likes this.
  13. VK7HH

ha! Thanks mate, but don’t we all have an accent… when does someone not have one

W5AAG, W7ASA and N4GST like this.
  14. VK7HH

I could try my best American accent, but it would be Southern… that’s all I can do

GM4AGL, KC8YRK, VK5FUSE and 3 others like this.
  15. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

There is a lot of "I Think", some good points, but WA7ARK should review this!
    Just try building a 49:1 that will take over 1.5KW, many will get hot .... ..

From the KØUO Rhombic Antenna Farm, which is located at the Kansas QTH, with over Two miles of Wire in the Air & On the Air, “The RF Gotta-Go-Somewhere"!

PY2NEA and W4KJG like this.