5 band beam purchase advice needed

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by N8KIM, Jan 5, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N8KIM

N8KIM Ham Member QRZ Page

Well I just got my Glenn Martin 40 foot Tower (18in) (ham4) with hazer up and ready to go. Now I need a 5 band beam for it. My fallback is a hex beam but I would like to find something with more gain. the boss has agreed to around $1,200 for my birthday present in July so I have some time to consider all the different antennas available. So let's hear some advice fellas :)

2. E73M

E73M Ham Member QRZ Page

KC8VWM, K4LMP and WD4DXQ like this.
  3. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There are not a whole lot of 5 band yagi's made. As Danny says above the Navassa 5 is one and it fits within your budget. The Force 12 XR-5 is another but it is $500 more AND you would most likely have to upgrade your rotator to handle it. the JK Navassa 5 would be my recommendation.

Personally I use a Cushcraft MA5B "mini beam" which is 2 elements on 10,15 and 20 and a rotatable dipole on 12 and 17. It is a far cry from much larger yagis I have had in the past but then I don't run a legal limit amp anymore either. Frankly it works OK. 3 winters ago just for the heck of it I worked DXCC on 12 and 17 with it running 100 watts. It is less than $500

4. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Tennadyne T-6 LPDA array. About the same gain as a collection of two-element yagis for each band on one boom, and full coverage from 13-30 MHz, inclusive. You may need a better rotator to handle it, though.

N2IIE, WW1WW and AK5B like this.
  5. WD4DXQ

WD4DXQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Do check out the JK Navassa-5...I have one and highly recommend it. Heavy duty parts and excellent support from Ken Garg (W3JK), the owner before and after the sale. Their support is excellent and the product build quality is exceptional. Oh, and it works great too with no lossy traps to fail that need to be replaced. I have a picture of mine on my QRZ page. It is essentially the XR5, only less expensive. And there is also an 6 meter add-on kit. SWR curves match the posted specs, and I suspect the rated gain is actually higher.

6. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

I've never owned a Tennadyne T-6 or T-8 but I sure like LPDAs. No traps and one feedline for all 5 bands are big pluses in my book. If I am ever in position to choose a decent large beam for a tower that would be my first choice FWIW. The Navassa looks good, too so have fun trying to decide.

AE7J ran a long thread with a comparison of many 5-band beams and while the thread may have closed by now it'd be worth searching this forum for it; might be a few years old already. Lots of useful info in it.

73, Jeff

7. WW1WW

WW1WW Ham Member QRZ Page

And.. the Tennadyne is half the price and it works great with a simple Collins Balun.

8. E73M

E73M Ham Member QRZ Page

T-6 sounds like a good option but besides price advantage, there is a lot more problematic things I see with a T-6 antenna.

To name few:
    1. Mechanical design is not that great, many reported elements falling off the dual boom.
    2. Dual Boom is transmission line and BALUN needs to be placed at the center of the antenna for proper decoupling of cable which can influence a change in SWR as reported by some users.
    3. SWR is not bad but not great on all of the HAM bands especially on 10m, but with 100ft of any coax, it looks good and most users do not complain.
    If size is the concern, then MA5B (which I designed too for Cushcraft) is a good option but there are more tradeoffs introduced than with T-6 and Navassa5 antennas.

73 Danny E73M

W3FLH and KC8VWM like this.
  9. K4LMP

K4LMP Ham Member QRZ Page

I plan on getting a Navassa-5 in the spring, if funds are available. I looked, and from what I have seen, the build quality is unbeatable. I want a beam with no traps, and the Navassa seems to be a great antenna.

WD4DXQ likes this.
  10. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Neither a quick google search nor a search of this forum turned anything up. Are there any T6 owners reading this forum who have encountered any such problems? Can anyone provide a link to a thread somewhere about this?

AK5B likes this.