4U1A ??

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by WB1EAD, Nov 2, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. WB1EAD

WB1EAD Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello all DXers..I might have asked this once upon a time or maybe not..anyhoo I've worked this callsign b/4..curious about what entity it represents?..as you know 4U is listed in the ARRL DXCC pamphlet as either Europe or North America..two seperate entitys..typing in 4U1A yields Austria..I have worked the Hdqtr in New York city and typing in 4U1UN yields United Nations as country of origin..so my question is does 4U1A count as the European UN?..I'm asking because sometimes I've worked a TM call for instance who reported to be in Morroco but typing in comes back as France..could be QRZ might not be capable of where the callsign should originate maybe..or maybe I'm asking a dumb dumb question..73 de DAVE WB1EAD

2. WB1EAD

I should also mention we've worked 4U1WB as well..the country shown is the USA Washington DC..out of all the prefixes with the exception occasionally of TM TO and a couple others I can usually "pin" them down..it's probably obvious but ya know I can't see it 73 de DAVE WB1EAD

3. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

As far as I know 4U1UN is the only 4U that counts as "United Nations" in the DXCC list. Other 4U count as the country they are located in. There is no "European UN" in the list.
    TM are typically islands off of mainland France and I guess some special event calls in France as well. TO can be issued to ANY of the offshore territories.
    The better logging services actively keep a list of exceptions for all the variances. QRZ Log to my knowledge does not. You have to change your entry manually.

4. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

5. WO7R

WO7R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There are two recognized "UN" type calls that count separately for DXCC.

4U1UN (located in New York, United States, rarely activated these days)
    4U1ITU (located in Geneva, Switzerland).

HOWEVER the world does not end with DXCC.

There is an award called Worked All Europe. In that award, a third "4U" location is supported:

4U1VIC The Vienna International Center. Moreover, that one has several alternate calls including 4U1A.

A current list is usually kept here:

https://www.dxmarathon.com/helpfulhints/2019/HelpfulHints2019.htm#Callsign Notes

. . .and that's because the CQ DX Marathon (which many amateurs participate in) adds the WAE "countries" and so they count separately.

CQ WW also counts the WAE countries, including 4U1VIC and any contest calls (usually, but not limited to, 4U1A).

There are a few others (4U1WB). 4U1WB is the "world bank" and is counted everywhere as "United States".

If in doubt, look them up in QRZ.COM

6. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Darn. How could I forget 4U1ITU?!?!?

7. WB1EAD

Thank you all for ur input on this!..I will keep an ear out for the 4U1ITU in Switzerland..it wud be an ATNO for me..heard them once a few years back but the op went QRT as I rotated the aluminum..reminds of another true story when the P5 op ( he was from eastern Russia on a relief mission there) did the same on 10mtrs..that was a couple decades ago..I'm sure we all have had that experience in one way or another..thanks agn! 73 de DAVE WB1EAD