4CX1000: ACOM 1500 vs 2100 help spend my money

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by WL7PM, Aug 7, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Pity is they actually build very good amps. Same place built the Alpha 91B, which was also a good amp.

Issue is, they're far away and service if needed can be nightmarish if you're in a hurry.

W9RAC and N3FAA like this.
  2. W9RAC

W9RAC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The issue is a known design flaw regarding several of the solid state amps. I also have had a 2100 which never hinted of a problem I recently sold. I'm only down on Acom for continuing to sell these amps, along with both HRO and DX knowing they are flawed at time of purchase. I also have an Elecraft KPA 1500 which preforms flawlessly. I do not intend to wait months for a known problem to be rectified by Acom or HRO. 73 Rich

3. W5IEI

W5IEI Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I thought you had a 1200 that runs fine ?
    Anyway,the question was 1500 VS 2100

4. W9RAC

They do run fine until they quit which seems to be the case with most of them. I was assured at purchase the problems had been resolved by HRO. The 1200s is a backup amp for me with little use, no reason for the failure other than faulty build. Yes you are correct regarding the thread topic, my response regarding the 1200s was simply an acknowledgment of another post here concerning it. 73 Rich

5. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I picked up a lightly used Acom 1010 last year from my local club. Yeah, it's a "backup amp" but I try to alternate between that and my AL-82. So far, I'm really impressed with the 1010. Ease of use, 120 Vac operation 600-700 watts out, what's not to like?

I call it my "baby Alpha" because that's what it looks like inside and it was built by the same folks who used to make Alpha amps...

Just my 0.02 cents...

6. W9RAC

One last post on the subject. I solved my Acom 1200s problem today. I traded it back to HRO for a 2100, again. I would have been skeptical every-time I turned that 1200s on so I moved on. 73 RAC

N3FAA likes this.
  7. WL7PM

WL7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

As follow up:
    I found the price difference between A-1500 and A-2100 insignificant.
    Also in the field of consideration was Ameritron AL-1500.
    Ameritron was not taking telephone calls, and none of the retailers had any Big Ameritron in stock, with NO ETA available.
    Bought the Acom 2100 from DXE, good price, same day shipping. Arrived in perfect condition, very easy assembly ( install transformer)
    The ACOM2100 is really pleasant to use, very quiet cooling fan, EASY to tune, and seems very broad/ not critical tune settings, can QSY substantially in band with no difference. REALLY nice tune/Load controls, bandswitch feels good and solid, without being clunky.

One question for the long time Ceramic TETRODE users:
    .. How long should I expect the 4CX1000 to run at 3600 plate volts ?
    I see Eimac's old maximum ratings called for maximum 3000 volts, back in 1963.
    Is it possible the Chinese tube contains stronger vacuum ? :)
    Higher voltage = lower current, and less heat, right ?

8. K7JQ

K7JQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hopefully mine was an isolated incident, but the Chinese 4CX1000A in my Acom 1500 running at 2450V (under load, 1200W output) shorted out at the 4-1/2 year mark. A new Chinese one sold by Array Solutions cost $1,000. A new Eimac from their distributor Richardson Electronics cost $2,800 + tax + shipping. I was very fortunate to acquire a NOS Eimac for a reasonable price from a friend.

9. W5IEI

W5IEI Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I run mine at about 1250 out,and I think it'll last longer than I will.

K4YNZ likes this.
  10. W2LEW

W2LEW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I ran the Acom 600s for 4yrs , but craved more Power. I like the way Acoms are built so I decided to go for the 2100 but alas, there were none to be had. There was however an Acom 1000 at DXE which I received February of this year.
    Last Week a year old used 2100 became available which was within driving distance and $1000 cheaper than new. For those who don't know the first 2 numbers of the serial is the build year. The Transformer was already installed which was another +. I was going to sell the A1000 to offset the price of the 2100, but have decided to keep it for a backup. the little Acom 600s is going to it's new owner tomorrow. I have read many reviews between the Acom 2100, and the Alpha 8410, and buying the 2100 was a no Brainer.