4CX1000: ACOM 1500 vs 2100 help spend my money

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by WL7PM, Aug 7, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. WL7PM

WL7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Trying to decide which amp to buy, not too much difference between ACOM's 1500 and 2100 models.
    Anyone know if they are using SVETLANA or chinese tubes in current production ?
    The only difference I can figure by spec sheet is the transformer is heavier on the 2100, runs more plate voltage.
    Both have 3 antenna ports, both capable of 120 volt operation, ( at kilowatt level ) for emergency field use on generator power.
    One more consideration, regards repairs: Is service literature available for the modern ACOMs ?

2. KC2RGW

KC2RGW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Acom is quite responsive to email questions just FYI. If you run high duty cycle modes and the money difference isn't critical, get the 2100 with the larger transformer. If you mostly just work SSB and the duty cycle isn't really important, the 1500 would work too. The control boards would likely be challenging to repair yourself unless you are familiar with surface mount components and troubleshooting ICs. If you want something more bunker ready, maybe an AL-82, 1200 or 1500 as they are a simpler design to repair.

3. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Svetlana never made a 4CX1000A that Im aware of. Just USA and Chinese; there are many NOS USA still left over from military use. A bias change may be necessary but ACOM is already aware of the question.

4. W5IEI

W5IEI Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have an Acom 2100.
    You won't need repairs.
    If the unthinkable did happen,I think DX Engineering is the service center.
    Get the 2100

JF3LOP, KU3X and WL7PM like this.
  5. WL7PM

WL7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

I am surprised not to see more of the big Acom turning over on the used market.
    I wish ops would sell off more 'extra toys' instead of us all holding onto everything 'for back-up' etc.

6. N3FAA

N3FAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

DX Engineering and HRO are both authorized repair centers, which was one of my reasons for going with the Acom 1200s over the Palstar. My amp broke the first part of the year (as did many other peoples') and took 4 months to get repaired, because even though HRO and DXE are authorized facilities, all the parts still come from Bulgaria. At least you don't have to ship your amp overseas, but waiting on the overseas parts is a nightmare.

7. W5IEI

W5IEI Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a practically brand new Acom 1010 I'm probably going to put up for sale this fall.

8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow, that's not good.

FedEx and DHL from Bulgaria to U.S. takes about 3 days, so I'd guess the parts problem was the factory didn't have any, either, and had to manufacture them.

Of course, that could happen with an American brand, also. Ham amplifiers are a teeny-tiny market and production runs are likely very small.

9. N3FAA

N3FAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh, for sure. It could happen with any company, but it did not leave a good taste in my mouth. Door to door, I was without my amp for 5 months, and I had to pay $130 in shipping for the pleasure. It is in no way acceptable to be without a brand new product for almost half a year. It was gone almost as long as I owned the amp.

W9RAC likes this.
  10. W9RAC

W9RAC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

He speaks the truth, stay clear of Acom. 73 Rich

N3FAA likes this.