ad: w5yi

498 applications with 3437 requests for 1x2 and 2x1 call signs

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W6RZ, Nov 8, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Refreshingly honest, was it? ;)

2. W4ZD

W4ZD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hah! I would have taken it. Imagine, "Whiskey For Son Ova Bitch... Anybody got some whiskey?" :D

3. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess you just want me to search for something that isn't there.

4. K4YWZ

K4YWZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

N2EY likes this.
  5. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

* sigh *

Oh well, I tried. Sorry gang, I guess I should have expected as much. But, I had to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Nothing more need be said. Carry on.

KJ4VTH likes this.
  6. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

He wants you to open your eyes.

7. K1OIK

No where in the links does it state the reason for being:
    • Offlined by FCC: The application has been taken offline for FCC manual review.
    Also, please tell me where I have done what you accuse me of and what it has to do with my question?

8. K5XIT

K5XIT Ham Member QRZ Page

Anyone can go the a VE session and come out with a general class license. The requirements are so very low that we now have a bunch of nice guys that have no clue just what they are doing. They cannot even build a wire dipole nor install a PL259.

W4ZD, N3AB and K1OIK like this.
  9. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

For the benefit of the curious...

The “offlined by FCC” phrase is not limited to the Amateur Radio Service. It is part of the ULS, which includes other radio services, and indicates that the automation has tripped on something that requires... manual review.

That could mean that there is some other application on file. Or some other action (such as an alleged indiscretion of some sort) that is pending.

It is not necessarily ominous.

In the case of the Amateur Radio Service, a little research (both on Dean AE7Q’s site and elsewhere) indicates that the most likely reasons that a ham will see this phrase on a renewal, vanity, or other application include:

— A pending unresolved action, such as a Notice of some sort, a pending fine, a matter before an Administrative Law Judge that is not yet resolved or is under appeal.

— A person who has answered yes to “that” question on their Form 605, which requires a determination as to whether or not the offense is sufficient to disqualify them from holding an Amateur license.

— A name that appears to match one on a list of people who have been permanently disqualified from holding an Amateur license in the future.

In the later case, the manual review part simply means someone has to review the records and determine whether or not the applicant is someone on the “banned” list trying to sneak back in. If the name is relatively common, this is understandable. And in the vast majority, it can quickly be determined whether or not if the applicant is the “right” person or not.

There’s a blog out there from KD0BIK that, amongst many other things, talks about his experiences being “offlined” when he upgraded, what happened, and how it was resolved in his favor.

So, being offlined does not necessarily mean anything bad. Just that a human being has to take a look. Beats having the ULS automation reject applications without an appeal, especially in the case of potential mistaken identity, right?

AB8MA and KP4SX like this.
  10. K1OIK

That was a great answer, why did you mock me for asking and I saw nothing like it on the sites you referenced. My application for renewal a year ago was held for review, and granted a day or two later, a reason for me asking. Maybe the ARRL opposed me? Maybe you did?
    In any event that was a a great detailed informative response, one of the best I have seen.