ad: elecraft

#45 How to get the best microphone for your ham radio shack with Bob Heil

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KM9G, May 26, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. IS0HXK

IS0HXK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm perfectly agree with you.
    Our microphone, however good it may be, must reproduce the voice perfectly and nothing else.
    In 20 years transceivers there are controls to emphasize the highs and make the microphone with the same response of the glorious astatic d 104 and shure 444 for those who want to do DX activities.
    73 to all

KR3DX, VK2WP and K5KNM like this.
  2. KA1YBS

KA1YBS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Probably another "click-bait" video advertisement. These seem to be moderated or posted by the same groups of ham operators. Maybe there is a monetary gain for views, idk.

I have a 20 year old desk mic and with my 7610, I can and did tweak it a little bit with help from other amateurs when I got the new rig, using the on-board menu system of the rig.

No need to upgrade, no splatter, no distortion, no problem.

I would do a yt video, but it would be ho-hum boring.

73 y'all and please don't wear a mask when operating phone :cool:

IS0HXK, VK2WP and WN1MB like this.
  3. AA5H

AA5H Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I purchased from an Authorized Reseller, but this a Warranty issue and not a return.

"BBB lists Heil Sound "A-" with 0 complaints" : Heil Sound is not registered with the BBB, so any subsequent rating is irrelevant. Regardless, the rating means nothing, what happened to previous customers has no impact on my current issue. The BBB has become useless over the years, some of the worst customer experiences I've had have been with A+ rated companies. With reference to this particular issue, I like the product and respect the quality, even the best products can have a defective part, I just need Heil to communicate to resolve a very fixable problem.

WB4NQF and W5CJA like this.
  4. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Then the Authorized Reseller should be responsible to either offer a refund, exchange, or parts replacement. Let the middle man deal with the reportedly non-communicative Mr. Heil.

AB4KA likes this.
  5. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

What is aYTB Hamfest???

6. AA5H

AA5H Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes and No.. Beyond the return period a Reseller is only bound by their own Retail and/or Express Warranty, (free) extended warranties are rarely offered for electronic equipment except on In-House brands and some used equipment. A manufacturer warranty is only legally binding between the manufacturer and the consumer/owner. Will a reseller act as a 'middleman", yes in many cases, but the reseller will require the customer to ship the item to the reseller, and routinely the reseller will also charge shipping from the store to the manufacturer and back adding more charges and often another 2 -3 weeks of delay.

In my case it's more than likely just a bad HC-4 element that the manufacturer can quickly replace without sending the whole unit, if I could just get them on the phone.

7. WA2AAR

WA2AAR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a Heil headset here the Pro Set Elite. It was OK on my Yaesu Rigs not the best audio. I stop using it and went to a Behringer Ultravoice XM8500 $19.95 this
    out performs the Heil PR40 and the PR40 is a $300.00 mic. The straw the broke the camels back. Is when I call Heil up on the phone to buy a mic cartridge for
    Icom for the head set. And the person on the phone said that they will not sell the cartridge for that head set for Icom. He said the I would have to send them $65.00
    and $12.00 for shipping. I said the I can put the cartridge in my self. He said that Bob Heil will not sell it. I said OK thanks for nothing. I talk to my friends and they said
    go to W2ENY and get a cartridge from him well you know where I went and I got one for $24.00. As for me I will not buy anything that has the Heil name on it.
    Just like the sound on this pod cast the audio sounds very tinny. He is not the only one out there that has mic just look around before you buy.

IS0HXK and WN1MB like this.
  8. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have used the iCM mic on every (many) Icom I've ever owned and have always gotten rave reviews of my audio quality. Their HM-12 not so good.

9. K0SAV

K0SAV Ham Member QRZ Page

This is a poor quality digital stream and that affects Bob's audio more than anything in this video. The digital artifacts are obvious. If you didn't take that into account, you should.

KA0HCP likes this.
  10. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

It never should have been presented as such in the first place, for goodness sake.

11. W6UXB

W6UXB Ham Member QRZ Page

Time to give Bob a break, stay safe wash your hands, more important things happening (I regret my last post) wear a mask when typing s**t, 73 Geoff

12. IS0HXK

IS0HXK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you use a dynamic Chinese karaoke microphone, you will see that it will be exactly the same, believe me.
    And for RFI issues, most of the time a capacitor in parallel to the microphone capsule is enough-

13. W2OT

W2OT Ham Member QRZ Page

HI HAM OPS.....I WAS LISTENING TO BOB HEIL REPORT......I HAVE A QUICK QUESTION....IN THIS VIDEO BOB IS HOLDING A PR-40...HE IS SAYING THE PR-40 IS EQUAL OR
    BETTHER THAN MICS THAN RE 27`S , NEUMAN MICS......I THEN HEARD BOB SAY THIS AT 17 MIN 45 SECS INTO HIS VIDEO (17:45) ( THAT THE PR-40 IS NOT GOOD FOR VOCALS )
    SOME WRAPPER SINGERS USE THEM PR-40`S............HOLD IT A SECOND , I HAD TO REPLAY BOB`S STSTAEMENT OVER & OVER........ITS NOT A GOOD MICROPHONE FOR VOCAL`S
    HOWEVRR BOB STATED PR-40 IS THE BEST MIC OUT THERE TODAY............ HIS VIDEO WAS GOOD UP TILL THEN.... CLOSE MY CASE BOB,73.....YOU CANT FOOL ME.....W2OT

14. W2OT

W2OT Ham Member QRZ Page

Most hams take the word of Heil bob is a nice man,, however the cheap $ 2 elements used in most of mic elements is nice cases.
    Heil 4 had a tiny cover with a pin hole in it this was to restrict passing low end The HC 5 element this cover was removed......now what im saying
    the Bob made it to change the acoustics......this is done in many of his mic`s, why bob stays away from Eletret condenser mics it cost a bit more
    to build.....when you buy cheap you get cheap........The casings is where the cost goes up oh how pretty the mic, however inside is a cheap element.
    Mic elements that are flat are much easier to EQUALIZED....Every mic needs to be equalized to make it sound a bit better....
    Remember there is a price to pay for better audio....it takes the know how. twisting knobs setting levels without the tools to do so
    then you have no clue what your going after.....WE dont need much for 100- 3kc bandwidth to get decent audio.....BTW most people have crappy
    radio voices......and cant hear well up in age......so question ......where do you stand.....willing to purchase a good mic without tools. a transmitter
    with not enough bandwidth........ example here take this great company NEUMAN. there mic are everywhere is many studio`s and make it work,
    I cant !!!! why not I ask ?? it cost $$$$$$$$$$$ are you a sound engineer....me NO ! so what the hell yuo looking for better transmitt audio
    make your station look like a braodcast station Ha !......dumb dumb & dumberrrr......I use a D-104 mic since 1970 still all original with a EQ I built
    30 years ago.......ok your turn......bob here to help you with $2 elements. 73 ops.

15. W2OT

W2OT Ham Member QRZ Page

How do you make a race car go to its fastest......best driver , best racing crew , best equipment,,,,,,,and money. i rest my case.

KW6LA and AB4KA like this.