40m S9+10 noise from powerlines!

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by CA3FJK, Apr 24, 2021.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-MFJ
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. CA3FJK

CA3FJK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm on site and brought my 891 along, threw a 12m spiderbeam mast up and an endfed 40/20/10, vertical, slopper, horizontal.

I have a 1:1 choke at the feedpoint and 15m of RG8U coax to the radio.

the biggest problem is that power lines are less than 50 ft away. I have no other option to move the antenna away other than relocate it in a metalic roof from a few feet to the other.

I'm also carrying a buddipole. I was thinking that directivity could help to steer away from noise but my question is:

is there any way to reduce this S9+ noise from powerlines? or I am just screwed on this temp location?

my plan is to put up the rigid dipole about 10ft above the powerlines, thinking it may help but I am looking forward to any other suggestions.

this is a good battle right here.

thanks!

2. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Can the local power company be of any help?

3. CA3FJK

I dont think so, they are not pulses like a bad transformer, its just pure current noise i think.

4. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nothing to do with pulses. Bad insulators, loose hardware, etc, etc.
    Powerlines in good condition don't usually make such noise.

CA3FJK likes this.
  5. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I think he's doing a POTA activation.

Other than trying to rig up a low noise receiving antenna (like a small non-resonant loop) I don't have an answer. Sorry.

CA3FJK likes this.
  6. CA3FJK

full lock down most of the places, no POTA for now, I just had to go work on a project for a couple of weeks. I didn't bring my PLoop. :(

7. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry, I forgot. :(