40m CW Band Extended - Region 3

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by VK5EEE, Aug 28, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KB1CKT

KB1CKT Ham Member QRZ Page

I was thinking two sets of traps, so as to keep 20m operation--did not spell that out in my post. Was thinking 20m would be quite useful during the day, and would be of high requirement to keep in a portable antenna.

I see your linked post indicates acceptable swr on 20m though with just one set of traps, so perhaps just one set is enough, esp if the portable radio has a small tuner in it.

2. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The antenna in the pictures was used with an FT-897D to make over 500 CW QSOs this past Field Day. And it was an off year (we lost several prime hours to weather).

The W3DZZ trap dipole design is about 50 years old but still works well on the bands it is designed for.

3. KB1CKT

KB1CKT Ham Member QRZ Page

I did see the W2AS(?)/W2AU trapped dipole at HRO recently, and wondered how it covered 20m with but one set of traps. Interesting. Well, you *could* add 20m traps, lower the SWR and perhaps make even shorter. ;) [In regards to VK2AOH's comment about 80m aerials being "long".]

4. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Using CW on 40M
    Notice how a thread can veer off course from the original topic ? :p
    Pulling the topic back to 40M CW, from antennas, again; Sure in the US you can Legally operate CW anywhere in the band, but the other modes have kind of crowded CW out of much of the bands since CW is not as popular or common as it was decades ago.
    In the US CW is used from the bottom of the band up to around 7070-7100 where digi is prevalent, then above 7100 there is another segment where lower speed CW is found up to about 7125 (the old novice band) but a lot of Canadians use SSB from about 7112 and up.
    The US Phone band actually starts at 7125 and heaven help you if you send "legal" CW above there, you will surely get QRM'ed if you send A CW call. .

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
    VK5EEE likes this.