ad: portazero-1

40m CW Band Extended - Region 3

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by VK5EEE, Aug 28, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. VK5EEE

VK5EEE Ham Member QRZ Page

There is some confusion as how this related to other regions and our friends in USA please tell us your band plan on 40m, 30m, and 20m, to compare. We now have new here, that the IARU has asked for 40m band plan to be harmonised, in the words of what we read in our national Amateur Radio publication, as a result what was CW exclusive 7000-7030 is now 7000-7040 so we gained 10kHz in recognition of our needs as CW use is expanding again. But I remember in Europe when I was active in the 80's, 90's that we had CW up to 7040 and I think SSB was above 7060. Also new is that data is now shifted up 10, from 7030-7050 now to 7040-7060. SSB is now 7060-7300 instead of 7050-7300. Data before had shared half-half as cw-data 7030-7040, now 7040-7050 and SSB-data was 7040-7050, now 7050-7060. Given LSB suppressed carrier dial frequency this means effectively SSB-SSB QSO here should no longer take place below 7062.7 and SSB-data not below 7052.7. SSB has effectively gained 100kHz and is gaining again as broadcast stations are moving out. So, everyone here should be happy. But what confuses me is the statement attributed to IARU that all 3 regions should harmonise according to the above plan, but doesn't USA have CW 7000-7070 exclusive? What is the exclusive range? And then, if harmonised, that would be a LOSS of CW band in Region 2, surely that isn't going to happen? These changes came into effect here with the last week.

2. AG6QR

AG6QR Subscriber QRZ Page

The
    There is NO exclusive CW segment of the 40M band in the USA. The legal description of the authorized emission types by frequencies are in Part 97.305(c). http://www.arrl.org/part-97-text

The 40m is divided in to the lower portion, where RTTY and Data are authorized, and the upper portion, where Phone and Image are authorized. In differing geographical regions, the limits change, and you've got to read the footnotes to get that out of the rule I linked to.

CW is allowed anywhere on the band (according to 97.305(a)), but nowhere on 40M is it the only mode legally allowed. Common practice is for CW to have pretty much exclusive use from the bottom of the band up to around 7070, but that's not written into the rules.

3. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

There are only 2-segments of any of the amateur radio bands that are CW only where the FCC is concerned. Those are 50.000 MHz to 50.100 MHz on the 6-meter band and 144.000 MHz to 144.100 MHz on the 2-meter band.

Glen, K9STH

4. M0LEP

M0LEP Ham Member QRZ Page

If the request is coming from IARU then it's only band plans they can be talking about. Allocations on 40 metres vary enough from country to country that trying to harmonise band plans is bound to be tricky.

5. VK2WP

VK2WP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice to see a bit more room for CW in VK, this will ease the pressure a bit as at times it was getting a bit crowded.

On a few occasions SOTA operators were chewing up 7.028, .030, and .032. Good to see such CW operations take place but was a bit crowded.

On my last activation plonked myself on 7.035 which moved me away from the other SOTA ops whom were already on the other frequencies.

Just a final comment, on my last two activations logged eight new VK callsigns calling in whom I had not heard before. Three VK4's, three VK2's, one VK1 and one VK6.

Keeping in mind it is difficult for VK6 (on the other side of the continent), to get through to the eastern states.

This is a quick count probably a couple of others as well. With the difficult band conditions prevailing CW is being more utilised as time goes on.

73's, Nick VK2AOH

6. VK5EEE

Hi Nick, good to see you here too as well as on air :) you're right, more and more SOTA activators are choosing CW, especially when CONDX are not good, and now thankfully there is a lot more room, of course CW can go anywhere on 40m, but 7028-7032 is popular with SOTA and QRP, and now can go up to 7039 without problems. 7040.1 +/- 100Hz, is used by WSPR and they get very annoyed if anyone goes near 7040, as it destroys their communications. Also activators can consider making an announcement on 7050 of the frequency they will be on, since folks listen there, I and also VK4FFAB have announced SOTA stations we hear, e.g. CQ DE VK5EEE QSX VK2IO/P SOTA 7032 -- also the majority of the Sunday CW Net controllers have agreed to avoid giving frequencies in the 7028-7032 section because of SOTA activations being popular on weekends, especially as most stations don't seem to think of checking "QRL?" after being assigned a frequency, and since net controller cannot check all frequencies, nor would it mean they not hearing anything means all is OK. Of course each operator is supposed to "QRL?" but in practice from my observations, very few do, and almost never both parties do it both. A lot of education is needed, things have slipped back much in operating standards over the years! Some stations even go on air without knowing any Q codes or having them available in front of them. So SOTA has been a big help to activating CW and getting more people interested in learning it... tonight and every Tuesday there is a new slow speed and CW practice and discussion net by VK4QC and myself when possible around 7115 LSB / 7114 CW at 7.30pm Eastern. Please see http://www.vkcw.net/QRS and you may like to share that around with any SOTA lists, nets or forums? 73 & 77 de Lou, VK5EEE

7. VK2WP

VK2WP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello Lou, have been here for a while and put up a couple of posts from time to time. Good to communicate with other telegraphy followers across the globe.

Noted the comments on the cw band extension and will mention that on the SOTA Yahoo group for VK along with a link to the vkcw net practice session shortly.

Have to say from my monitoring most of the SOTA cw and ssb activators are careful to ask QRL ? before calling which maintains a bit of courtesy on the bands.

Apart from that conditions have been rather flukey at the moment, dx openings are a bit sparse due to solar flares and the like.

Even 40M drops its bundle after about 4.30pm, then 80M is a better option for shorter haul (200-300Kms) if out on a summit.

Only prob with 80M is the aerials are so long !

73's Nick

8. VK5EEE

Indeed! 5MHz will be good if we get it later this year... my reference to people not checking QRL? was certainly not to SOTA, I've found SOTA operators even if QRS or new, are careful to check frequencies... reference was to the Sunday morning net where we get assigned frequencies, and sometimes OPs forget to check... but it's all good and sorted, hopefully, the Sunday net will be spread out 7010-7025 and 7035-7040 for those two hours, avoiding QRP.

9. KB1CKT

KB1CKT Ham Member QRZ Page

If summit hopping, would a trapped dipole make 80 a shorter antenna? Traps for 80&40. I think that gets it to around 100' or so (or could be, I guess I ought to say). Have heavy traps to carry though.

Could just use a G5RV instead... *ducks and runs*

10. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

http://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/80-40-20-dipole.419888/page-2

post 34.

For an 80/40 antenna you need only two traps, resonant on 40 meters. (actually better if they are resonant a little below 40, say 6.5 MHz). Overall length about 105-110 feet depending on what exact resonance points you cut it for.

The antenna in the picture is heavier-duty than a portable antenna would need to be. Lighter wire and traps could easily be fabricated.