40 to 10 antenna - design needed

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by CT2FZI, Dec 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. CT2FZI

CT2FZI Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello fellow ham,

I am looking for a 40m to 10m antenna design.

I cant mount it vertically therefore it must be horizontal.

The thing is that I don't have much room in my roof to mount this antenna, so I was looking for the best length/performance relation.

I can consider folded loop, trapped loop, or like G5RV or even W3HH design.

The maximum length should be around 50 feet / 15 meters or less...

Could you please give me some help on this?

2. CT2FZI

Hello :)

I really like this antenna design!

The thing is that I don't have enough height to mount it, in other words the antenna I need must be more like a rectangular shaped antenna than a square one.

Nevertheless do you think if I mount this antenna horizontally - lets say in a roof - will work?

~73 and all the best

Luis, CT2FZI

3. W5DXP

W5DXP Ham Member QRZ Page

A 51 foot dipole (G5RVjr length) fed with ladder-line all the way to a good tuner would be a pretty simple solution.

4. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

A 40M full wave loop would certainly work. Overall loop length is 141 to 142 feet, or roughly 45.5 to 46 meters long. In a triangular configuration, the equilateral side length is around 47 feet, or 15.2 meters.

Feeding it with balanced line would work well, just as with the 51 foot dipole already mentioned.

Good luck.

5. KE7TBB

KE7TBB Ham Member QRZ Page

go with the loop!!!!!!
    its not that big and it will cover bands with a tuner
    feed it with any coax or twin lead and remember NO BALUNS!!!

6. KB3SJQ

KB3SJQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  7. CT2FZI

Thank you all

... For your excelent answers.

After reading the websites you suggested I really learned some new things.

I will try some of the mentioned designs, just for the fun of building the most antennas I can... Practice makes perfection.

But the G5RV Junior is the best choice for my conditions. Its a compromise antenna, I know, but after reading G5RV Louis Varney own words, I find it a very interesting compromise. Its a go!

The T2FD is another option, but like I said, learning purposes only.

I will never get tired to say that in this moment all we ham ops have is to build our own antennas, since the radios are so far advanced and miniaturized that without proper tools they are not possible to assemble.

All the best and that 2010 brings you the QSO's of your lifes!

Luis, CT2FZI

8. W5DXP

W5DXP Ham Member QRZ Page

What Louis Varney probably didn't tell you is that the standard G5RVjr works well on 40m, 20m, and 10m but doesn't work well on the WARC bands. If you want the WARC bands, you probably should forget the coax and run ladder-line all the way to the shack, preferably to a balanced tuner.

9. K9ZMD

K9ZMD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

As I read your description of the circumstances & all of the replies, I kept thinking "Go loop, horizontal loop, go loop". Finally I got to your verdict, "G5RV" and about fell over because that's the last thing I'd consider.

There's a difference between multi-band and all-band, and the G5RV can't be reasonably called a good all-band antenna. So, if a horizontal loop isn't your cup of tea, then go with Cecil's suggestion to make the G5RV into a decent all-band antenna by scrapping the coax and bringing the balanced line all the way back to the antenna tuner.

Like generic medicines, it's cheaper if you don't go with the name brand so scrap the "G5RV" name along with the coax. Think of it as just 51 feet of wire center fed with balanced line. Once you free yourself from the G5RV name, you're also free to use whatever length of wire fits between your antenna supports. The commonly used generic name for that configuration is "doublet".

But I still liked a horizontal loop for the circumstances you described. :p 73

Gary, K9ZMD/6

10. CT2FZI

Hello Gary, K9ZMD!

Please don't get me wrong!

In fact, thanks to your last message I will go for a loop.

Some other answers advised me to "go for the loop" so why not?

My only question now is "what kind of loop?" I don't have much room to mount it, it will be on the roof, perhaps like an inverted V...

The perfect lenght would be 50 feet from one end to the other, but I guess if I mount it V inverted I could go up to 100 feet in lenght.

I have made a windom 80-10 and it works flawlessly, it is one of my favourite antennas... BUT it has 131 feet more or less...

Gary, could you please be kind enough to help me on this?

Just to let you know, I have an FT-847 with an FC-20 tuner and a FT-100D with a LDG Z-11 Pro tuner.

I would like to use this antenna on both transceivers.

73 and all the best,

Luis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.