40 meters has been *really* good to me lately......

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by W7DCM, Jul 21, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. W7DCM

W7DCM Ham Member QRZ Page

These past few months have caused me to re-think how I've typically viewed 40. I've already worked 25 entities on it from my AZ QTH, all with 100 watts and two pieces of wire. Europe, which can be a challenge from the southwest, has been reliably coming in these past few evenings. And so has South America.

I would expect it to do well in the winter, but in the height of summer? Europe? South America? I'll have WAC on this band once that QSL from Morocco arrives.

It's been better for me than 20 these past two months.

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Wow! That's awesome!!

CW? SSB?

Dave
    W7UUU

3. W7DCM

W7DCM Ham Member QRZ Page

CW.

Next major contest I'll be up at 3:00 AM picking up some Asians.

YF8RQN and WD4IGX like this.
  4. N5CM

N5CM Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed.

With the sunspot cycle the way it is, 20m has an opening and a closing during a 24-hr day at my location. 40m, however, is usually open to somewhere around the clock. Lately, it's really a meat and potatoes band.

5. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

40 has been semi-not-too-horrid for me lately, too. Stay tuned.

6. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've for 158 entities confirmed on 40m and 160 on 20m so it's just as good as the "DX band" in my case as well. In most contests, 40m is my money band...

YF8RQN likes this.
  7. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

40 is an awesome dx band. My two highest for entity count are 20 and 40... with 220 and 218 respectively. 80 comes in next at 170. 30 is also another fantastic dx band. 40 and 30 are open to some part of the world usually at most times. Mornings / nights especially around sunrise the band really stretches out.

YF8RQN likes this.
  8. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

i love 30m -seems activity has dwindled on 30m though...

9. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

One thing I like about 30.. is in theory the playing field is a bit more level in pileups. You have the 200 watt limit, plus I would guess there are more hams with copper wire in the air than aluminum... that being said.. some of the largest pileups I've heard have been on 30 possibly because of the more level playing field! It's a great band for DX.

10. WB9LUR

WB9LUR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

1:50 PM local time (1750 UTC) - went home for lunch and worked CY9C - 1700 miles distant - on 40M in the middle of the day. I have more DXCC on 40 than any other band.

Randy / WB9LUR

MSBETTYHUNT likes this.