40 meters for night owls

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by KX5JT, Apr 5, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. KX5JT

KX5JT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

April 2nd and early April 3rd ...Sunday Night/Monday Morning

7.295 Mc AM was well represented. Signals were very good starting from around 09:00 pm Central into early morning near 3 am.

So good in fact, that Brandon K5IIA and myself John KX5JT, at 11 pm and only 150 miles apart had a pipeline with 30 db + over s9 for a couple of hours. We also were able to copy several stations around including Jack K9ACT near Chicago, Gas Man K9GAS and Robert W0VMC and several others. It was quite interesting to be able to copy stations both near and far.

Here's a shot of my activity ....(times in UTC)

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

W0GSQ likes this.
  2. KX5JT

Not quite as good tonight but still many QSO's have been percolating at the top side of 40 meters. It's changing around pretty quick but it's still fun to get some contacts. Listening to Marc wa4ire with Brandon k5iia presently on 7.285.... the "call to prayer" just fired up on 7.295 for those of the Cresent Moon Faith so that pushes everyone down 10 or so Kc's. I did hear Philip KA4KOE and others earlier while I was laying down relaxing.

3. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

I was on 7290 and 7295 last night. Propagation up and down big time. I was chatting with WA4IRE when the path betwixt us went nonexistent in less than 15 seconds (around 0130Z).

4. W1UJR

W1UJR Ham Member QRZ Page

Gents, is this a regular net?
    If so, I'd like to add to my sked.

73 Bruce W1UJR

5. KX5JT

No not a net Bruce, just random but more and more regular AM activity up on 40 meters in and around 7.290. I heard Marc WA4IRE (s8 here), Steve KL7OF (15 over 9) and they were talking to Don K4KYV last night around midnight on 7.275. 40 is a fickle creature, I could not hear Don at all.

40 changes around quick. I think although we are very used to making transmissions for several minutes each, some even qualifying as "old buzzard" transmissions, we should probably practice shortening them up just a tad on 40. I know it's hard habits to break but the band can change so quick, it might be prudent to keep them under 5 minutes a piece. It's just a thought. :cool:

6. K5IIA

K5IIA Ham Member QRZ Page

40 is awesome, if anyone ever wants to try to make an a.m. contact on top end of 40 just shoot me an email. its good on qrz. I am on or atleast in shack pretty much every evening from 5pm to 10pm or later central time. So if anyone wants to try to chat or even just test out propagation just shoot me an email and I will see what I can do.

Good to see everyone on here, I notice a lot of familiar calls.

Brandon
    k5iia

7. WA4IRE

WA4IRE Ham Member QRZ Page

Heard WA1HLR in QSO with K5IIA, WA1KNX. and WOVMX from about midnight to 3AM EST on 7.270
    this morning. Tim was also in QSO with a 9 earlier in the evening that had good signal strength but I didn't catch his call sign as I was in and out of the radio room.

I believe that Tim was using a new stacked (160 meter?) dipole array, and it was performing very well. W0VMX was also heard at my QTH using his 160 meter loop. Tim and Robert had very consistent signals S9 to 10 DB plus with no deep slow fades. Tim and Robert's signature audio was outstanding. Unfortunately, I was unable to copy K5IIA, Brandon and WA1KNX.

K5IIA is presently using a 2 element 40 meter yagi at a height of 75'. Brandon plans on installing a stacked array using three 40 meter 2 element yagies stacked 50' apart. So I am sure you will have no problem working Brandon when propagation is favorable.

Other stations that have been operating on 40 meters recently with BIG signals are KA4KOE, K4KYV and KB1VWC.

After 10 PM EST 7.270 is usually clear. Check 7.260 to 7.285 and 7.290, 7295 late in the evening for AM activity.

40 meter propagation is very dynamic at night. I have been using a VOCAP based propagation program called ACE HF PRO for a very long time, and it does an excellent job of predicting HF propagation over any given path. The program was developed for the US Navy Submarine Fleet, and is still being used by the military. It is considered to be one of the most accurate propagation programs in use today. The program allows you to choose from 1,650 preset antenna models for your station, and the receiving station. A comprehensive list of US, foreign cities and towns, and military bases are listed in the program to ensure precise results. The program also permits antenna customization, and gives you the ability to actually test any antenna over any propagation path. The program will allow you to evaluate the performance of your present antenna system, and experiment with other antenna designs to determine which antenna will be the most effective one for the path in question. The program is an excellent tool for improving your antenna system. The program will predict propagation between two points, and will also show the area coverage of your transmitted signal on the Google Earth's earth globe and maps.

All the ACE HF PRO features, including the area coverage displays, are supported in both 32 bit and 64 bit Windows operating systems. The program uses the smoothed sunspot number.

ACE HF PRO will certainly allow you understand 40 meter propagation, and make more reliable schedules on that band and others. It is also a very powerful tool that can be used to improve your HF antenna system for any band!

If you are interested you can order the manual for $20 to better understand what this program is capable of doing, or call 405-235-2217, or See http://www.longwaveinc.com/ace/ace-hf-pro/

Hope you all can join the FUN on 40 meters!

Marc
    wa4ire