40 meter qrp kits...

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by N0XXX, Feb 14, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. G0DDJ

G0DDJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am using this with great success, http://www.hfsigs.com/
    Best contact so far on ssb is the UK to Jakarta in Indonesia which is 4500 miles, well pleased.

2. K7JOE

K7JOE Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd like some help with my BITX40 it's teh one from India. $59 + $10 for DHL. Looking to do one - full mods and CW. Also interested to know if I can get around 15W PEP using slightly higher voltage. Finally, i am not artistic at all, my kits look like something Charlie Brown would put together...so looking for an inexpensive chasiss. I have the V3 with the digital VFO raduino. I'm on the email list, but 50 emails per day makes it difficult to keep up.

Any suggestions?

3. VK3YE

VK3YE Ham Member QRZ Page

The Bitx site at http://www.hfsigs.com/ says you can get up to 20w with 25v on the power amplifier stage.

The email list is busy but if you go to the email list page at https://groups.io/g/BITX20/topics you can use the search function to more easily find things. Eg this is the results when you enter 'CW' https://groups.io/g/BITX20/search?q=cw

4. PD7MAA

PD7MAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    N6ALT likes this.
  5. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

I see the None Simpler TX's (NS40) listed on eBay again for $30. These are great TX rigs and full gallon QRP. Built two myself.

6. ZS6AI

ZS6AI Ham Member QRZ Page

K3RW likes this.
  7. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

I built a few 40m 'Frog sounds' kits for about $4, and another 40m 'Pixie' kit for about the same. Fixed on 7.026 and I could tune it to hear just slightly below and above 7.026. If I got some crystals and modified the socket to swap them in instead of soldering it I could work a few more places on 40m CW, like 7.062 in the QRP segment. The Frog sounds produced a sidetone while my Pixie didn't, but some have that option. I ordered a couple of different runs from different sellers and they looked about the same but the boards had some differences. Labeling was non-existent and the parts took longer to sort 'which inductor is this' than it did to assemble, even with my weak soldering skills.

In my experience they worked as great AM BCI receivers! Worth $4 to further my soldering skills, but I definitely needed to put them in a shielded enclosure to get rid of the local AM station interference.

Who knew Clark Howard was on 40m?! :)

8. N6IXZ

N6IXZ Ham Member QRZ Page

This is a fine option, but be advised it's a very new and very complex design that is -- like all brand-new products -- essentially a beta. There are a lot of pending bugfixes already.

My own attitude is that I would rather go along with the current of human history and observe the division of labor. Armies of little Chinese women (or hefty Chinese robots!) are zipping through assembly and QC at lightning pace so you don't have to.

I can build very well (I used to do it forty hours a week for a living) but I do not want to build any more...especially no v1.0 kits.

If kits go right, they're a stroke of blind luck, and ultimately you rarely save any money. I wasted six months and ultimately ten times the original purchase price in getting fully operational a kit that I had perfectly constructed, thanks to a flukey glitch in the firmware.

Kits are just bait for gremlins. ;)

9. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Keeping mine well fed here!

10. K5DH

K5DH Ham Member QRZ Page

I got my QRP Labs QCX kit in the mail a few days ago. I purchased the 20m version. I finished assembly yesterday and began the process of setup and checkout. Still need to finish with that. Assembly time was about 6 hours across three sessions (YMMV, as I am an experienced kit builder). There are only 5 toroids to wind! Very high quality PWB, one of the nicest I've seen in any radio kit, and by far the nicest in this price class. The online assembly manual is superb and easy to follow, with plenty of photos and graphic illustrations. The resistors have a non-standard color banding scheme, and the colors are easy to confuse (red and orange look almost identical, for example). Best to check with an Ohmmeter. The capacitors are all clearly marked. All of the components appear to be of good quality, unlike the crappy parts that come with the Pixie, Frog Sounds, and similar low-buck kits. The QCX went together just like it's supposed to, with no issues noted.

I wish they had an enclosure available. They claim they're "considering it". I may wind up making something myself. I don't like the idea of the guts being exposed. Too easy for accidental damage to occur.

I'll report back with my opinion on how the rig works once I have it on the air and I can get some time in the pilot's seat.

73/72,
    Dean K5DH