40 meter qrp kits...

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by N0XXX, Feb 14, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W4XDX

W4XDX Ham Member QRZ Page

While youre at oak hills research site pick up a wattmeter kit!

2. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

My only QRP kit experience has been the MFJ Cubs.
    Made one for 80 and one for 40M, they work well and my best recomendation for them because they receive well and have a VFO that can be set for whatever 80 kHz wide part of the band you want. Operating is as easy as they come with a VFO knob (I calibrated mine with a paper lable I stuck on) and a volume control and on/off switch with a Led indicator.
    My kit went together and aligned in about 2 hours. You have to wind a toroid coil or two but that is the hardest part of the job.
    They only cost $ 99 when I bought mine a few years ago. A good investment in my opinion.
    I have taken the 40M one camping and never fail to get a few QSOs every time. I use a lightweight wire dipole that I hang in tree limbs on the campsites and a 6AH gelcell battery that lasts all weekend after a friday night charge. .

3. K6BSU

K6BSU Ham Member QRZ Page

This is a kit txcvr circuit board. Small Wonder Labs "White Mountain" 40 M SSB. Custom cabinet contains power supply and a 20W linear amp (can switch it out for QRP). Also uses an external VFO.

Flo 40 SSB.jpg yd K6BSU

KX4OM and OH2FFY like this.
  4. KK6WPX

KK6WPX Ham Member QRZ Page

I have experience with those Frog Sounds Pixie kits, both assembled and disassembled.

If you are able to read the schematics and have a some spare time, it is worth building the kit. They cost under $10 disassembled and they can teach you a thing or two. With the first kit I built, I found out that it is better to use a battery source then a power supply to avoid a terrible buzz. When I connect an antenna to it, I can actually hear strong CW stations calling CQ.

As for the kits being in General or Extra class, that is true, but that can be easily fixed by simply swapping the crystal. Most of them come in 7.023. If you go to halted.com you can purchase the crystals in 7.040 which is for technicians I believe.

I would encourage you to buy a few kits.

5. KG4LLQ

KG4LLQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Ihave two OHR-100a radios; one for 40 & the other for 20 meters. They both work great, after they warm up for 15 minutes or so. They put out an honest 5 watts with a great signal. The receiver is direct conversion, so you need to listen carefully. The selectivity is OK, nothing spectacular, but you can vary the tuning range when you build the kit. For example you may want to tune from 7.000 to 7.080 or from 7.025 to 7.105. This can be accomplished by varying the spacing on one of the toroids. I wouldn't recommend the OHR-100a for field operation because if the time it takes to warm up for stabilization. Finally, support from OHR for their kits is outstanding.
    ALSO, consider LnR Precision and their MountainTopper 3 bander (40, 30 & 20 meters). This rig puts out 5 watts on 12vdc and down to 2.5 watts on 6vdc! This is an outstanding portable rig. LnR also makes "trail friendly" Zepp wire antennas. They are tuned for 40, 30 and 20 meters to match with the MountainTopper. This radio is not a kit but ready to operate.
    Check out both the OHR-100a and the MountainTopper.
    73, Ken - KG4LLQ

6. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have had one of the original Rockmite for a long time, and it's a blast to use.

7. KD9CKB

KD9CKB Ham Member QRZ Page

http://www.hfsigs.com/ Bitx40 another great 40m kit , comes complete with everything you need for only $59 shipped, made lots of contacts on mine already, and many people are modding them for different modes and bands

8. KL4KA

KL4KA Ham Member QRZ Page

There are the Bitx40 kits from India, they work well.

N8DAH likes this.
  9. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I would avoid the "old QRP" freq of 7040, that usually is busy with DIGI mode signals, Try 7030 now. OR get a rig with a VFO.
    I ALSO would avoid the "direct conversion" since you hear signals either side of Zero beat, it is not that much more cost to have a surpehet with decent xtal filters for single signal reception. Much less confusing to tune.

10. N8DAH

N8DAH Ham Member QRZ Page

QRPguys.com Paraset is nice building one now. Just finished a bitx40 full mods with cw.