40 meter QRP calling frequency

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by W0DQ, Jul 2, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WM7WM

WM7WM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

2. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

I still use 7040 from time to time with my rockbound stuff and still get answers when I call CQ. It's probably not an "official" QRP calling frequency anymore but QRP'ers still go there.

3. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Upstream, 7118 is gaining popularity what with the recent digital encroachment above 7100kHz.
    Use it or lose it again....

4. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

7040 is still alive. I just now worked WB2SRV 2-way QRP on there. I am amused, because it was my first QRP contact in something like 20 years.

W1BV likes this.
  5. N8AFT

I hear a ton of steady carrier on 7040 so it's not much good here in Ohio most of the time.

6. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I noticed that yesterday... carriers that go on for several minutes. I don't know if it's a digital mode or what.... cw or ssb only here.

7. W4KJG

W4KJG Subscriber QRZ Page

In the last 30 years, I've very seldom ever run more than 5 watts (usually less than 3 watts) HF, and that includes SSB voice. Years ago it was mostly CW and RTTY. These days it is mostly PSK and JT, with some CW. (I also activate my Raspberry Pi several days a month on WSPR.) I've never had a problem making contacts with my simple wire antennas and low power. I've mostly switched over to a couple of 50-90 foot long Inverted-L antennas at each of my two QTHs. I also run BOTA and SOTA with some simple antennas matched with simple L-networks.

I don't know if they are still around, but in the past, I regularly checked into the Ten Tec SSB networks on 40 and 20 meters using my old Argonaut 505. I cheat by using a Ten Tec 234 Speech Processor and an EV-727 "banana" microphone when I get on SSB voice with this rig.

I just haven't found it necessary to have a special operating frequency for QRP.

With that said, I am glad that the various digital signal communication modes have gravitated to certain frequencies and segments of the HF bands. I believe most of us are running pretty low power. It helps us greatly when high power, wideband stations, don't take over our narrow band operating areas.

8. N8AFT

Had FB results this Friday evening and Sat AM early calling CQ @ 7050 with the K1.
    Calling CQ, which I don't normally do @ QRP, I had solid copy QSO's with Oregon and Texas.
    Going to go portable from Fair radio in Lima Ohio tomorrow with the little rig and my vert
    which I run pipe mounted on a 2x6 that my Toyota's rear tire holds down....
    Should be lots of fun with many SKCC'ers on the air this weekend to tailend call.
    No single special frequency here other than my favorites. VY 72/73 de n8aft

9. AF7OS

AF7OS Ham Member QRZ Page

When I'm doing SOTA, I'll use 10.112 and often get a pile up on QRP.

10. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

glad to hear 7118 getting some action

just wondering, what 7100+ digimodes are you hearing?