40 meter QRP calling frequency

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by W0DQ, Jul 2, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W0DQ

W0DQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Is there a standard 40 meter QRP calling frequency? I know it used to be 7040, but the WSPR beacons ran us off of that frequency. 7030 in known by some as a calling frequency but there is a lot of other activity on that frequency, particularly DX operation.

I have seen 7060, 7065 and 7122 posted and I have tried them all and have had no luck finding other QRP stations.

Hey, let's get our act together and agree on a calling frequency!

K8AI likes this.
  2. VK3YE

VK3YE Ham Member QRZ Page

Possibly the easiest way to find other QRP stations is to be on air during QRP contests and club nets. Also SOTA activity is often done with QRP.

And don't overlook 7.023 as that's what a lot of those cheap Pixie transceivers use (although at any one time 99.9% sit on the shelf gathering dust).

A lot of QRPers are involved in other special interest CW clubs (eg Fists, SKCC) which may have their own centres of activity frequencies.

Many QRP hams aren't affiliated with any QRP club or care for specific frequencies or organised nets.

The majority of stations QRPers work are QRO. The latter, especially if DX, may be the only stations who can hear the QRPer due to their superior antennas.

The most successful way for a QRPer to get a contact is through 'search and pounce'. Either responding to others' CQ calls or 'tail-ending' a finished contact.

These operating tactics are highly successful for the QRPer. However they encourage spreading across the band rather than concentrating on one frequency.

When the band is quiet the QRPer will want to work anyone, so will tune around hunting for contacts.

When the band is busy there will be crowding, including around any 'calling frequency' that someone might think is a good idea. Since you'll be probably weaker
    it is essential that you use frequencies that place your signal in the clear away from actual or likely interference from other stations. Even other QRPers can unknowingly
    cause interference, especially if they are in noisy urban environments or using deaf receivers like the Pixie. As we move towards the low sunspot pattern even bands like
    40m develop skip zones and inadvertent interference will become more likely as it can no longer be guaranteed that everyone can hear everyone else.

To summarise, if you want to find other QRPers the published call frequencies are only sometimes useful.

There is no substitute for tuning the band, listening and making well-timed calls.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
    KK5R and KO4LZ like this.
  3. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I still insist we need a calling frequency for 313 Watt stations!

4. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I work a lot of QRP stations on the SKCC freq of 7055, a few on the "elmer" freq of 7114 (usually QRS/QRP) .
    And YES, the "New QRP" freq of 7030 is often over run with high power QSOs.
    I do get answers from QRP stations just calling a CQ anywhere,!
    I am lucky to have low noise levels often and a good receiver and antennas and enjoy working any QRP !!

5. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

All I could find was 7040 and 7030 for the QRP call frequency. If 7040 is not busy, I start my CQ'ing there. If busy I usually just move up or down no
    more than 2 khz. A lot of time I hear people calling CQ just a tad above or below 7040. I find the same on 20 meters. They are calling just a tad above
    or below 14.060.
    I do check 7030 but mostly focus on 7040 +/- a few.

http://www.ku3x.net/portable-qrp/elecraft-kx3

Barry

6. EA1BDF

EA1BDF Ham Member QRZ Page

Centers Of Activity - places where QRPers are likely to be found.

Band
    CW Phone

160m
    1810 kHz 1843 kHz 1910 kHz
    80m 3560 kHz 3985 kHz 3690 kHz
    60m 5346.5 kHz (Ch2)
    40m 7030 kHz 7122 kHz 7090 kHz 7285 kHz
    30m 10106 kHz 10116 kHz
    20m 14060 kHz 14285 kHz
    17m 18096 kHz 18130 kHz
    15m 21060 kHz 21285 kHz 21385 kHz
    12m 24906 kHz 24950 kHz
    10m 28060 kHz 28365 kHz 28385 kHz
    6m 50096 kHz 50185 kHz
    2m 144060 kHz 144285 kHz

Frequencies in italics indicate a preference in Europe.
    Digital modes - keep to higher end of usual frequencies.

7. VK2WP

VK2WP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

At time of writing there is a huge 5KHz plus wide signal on 7.030. Wish I knew what it was, maybe some sort of military digital signal.

Has been there all day long.

8. G4COE

G4COE Ham Member QRZ Page

The G-qrp club uses 7.030

Dave

9. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

10106 kHz on 30M USED to be a good QRP freq when I first started out on the band with a MFJ 9030 five watt rig (my main rig was a Kenwood TS520 with the usual old 5 HF bands) .Now when I check the QRP freq it usually has some DX pile up there.

10. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

My exp has been that it is where you find it, or make it.
    Sounds like you are wanting to have an exclusive 2x QRP QSO freq which will of course never exist.
    7105 to 7112 has been good QRP this year with 7110 seemingly more popular but lately over run by digitals.
    There is a SKCC Weekend Sprint this week and I have found them to be an excellent way to have many QRP QSO's.
    Tail end calling being the easiest way for me to get a reply with more than a few being west coast DX from Ohio.