40 meter g5rv antenna

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by K5DXE, Nov 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. K5DXE

K5DXE Guest

How well does the g5rv 40 meter antenna work laying on the roof of a house and is it safe to do this. The antenna is fed with twin lead. Terry

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The G5RV isn't a 40m antenna, it's an 80-10m antenna. It works okay on 40.

There are high voltages on the antenna wire tips (ends) and, depending what bands you operate, also every 1/2 wavelength back towards the feedpoint from those tips. These can ignite combustibles and also create serious detuning if placed closed to materials other than "air."

I wouldn't lay one on the roof of a house. Even twin lead laying on the roof of the house, unless the roof is a great dielectric, can impact the way it works.

"Everything works" to some extent, but this antenna works a lot better if suspended in the air, as high above ground as possible.

3. K5DXE

K5DXE Guest

g5rv

Thanks for the info on the g5rv laying on the roof. I will put it up in the air.

4. KB3SDS

KB3SDS Ham Member QRZ Page

i have one of these giving to me by my girl friends grand parents, its to big and i have no idea how to set it up on my property, my only option would be to ask the shop owner (i know him personally) to string it from my house to his shop.

(i just noticed it labeled his shop as a KFC? there's not one for miles!)

View attachment 33066

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  5. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member QRZ Page

You don't know how to hang it up ? And its too long ? Well you could measure 35 ft on each leg, tie some strong cord on it and tie one end to your house, and the other end to a tree. That seems like a good idea, and the remainder of the wire you just let it dangle, put the coax into an ATU then your TX and start blowin' smoke !

G0GQK

6. K9ZMD

K9ZMD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Who owns all that open area beside your house? Can you put up some masts there to support a wire antenna? If possible, do it.

Cost an issue? Fence top rail (as in chain link fencing) is relatively inexpensive at stores like Lowes and Home Depot. It's managable up to 30 feet tall (3 ten foot sections) with minimal guying. Be better than stringing that antenna low in the vicinity of buildings, then dragging the transmission line over the top of parking places.

7. KB3SDS

KB3SDS Ham Member QRZ Page

It does not belong to me, and they owner of it is kinda stingy, otherwise i would ask for permission.

The farthest tree is barley 50ft, and would it be an issue my house has aluminum siding?

Laid out the thing spans form the sidewalk to half way into the grass in my back yard if that helps with scaling. I would avoid putting anywhere where hoodlums and kids can mess with it or catch a burn.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.