40 80 Double Bazooka

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by G0CSK, May 17, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The Maxx-Com "solid state automatic antenna matching unit" sold pretty well about 35 years ago or something.

It could match an antenna in microseconds. Because it had no moving parts and required no DC power to operate.

Wonderful product. QST even reviewed one, and also X-rayed and de-potted it to find the miracle inside.:)

BTW it was also quite "low noise.":rolleyes:

2. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

And - a couple of lumped-circuit components could have done the same thing :) (a series-tuned "suckout" filter or notch tuned to the 2nd harmonic).

3. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]

Rege

K2XT and G0CSK like this.
  4. VE3EKJ

VE3EKJ Ham Member QRZ Page

You're quite right, of course. Still, in my defense I can only say I was a Woodstock child barely starting my 20's. All the criticism of the bazooka hadn't even started yet. I had already built the antenna and the second harmonic shorting action was pleasantly serendipitous! A tuned circuit would have been more work and besides, living in the country I had only basic test gear and tweaking a tuned circuit on top of a tower at the feedpoint without someone educated enough at the television who could recognize a good null and let me know wasn't practical. They also needed to have a loud enough shouting voice so that I could hear them out the window. My mother had certainly proved her ability chastising me for my boyhood pranks but she just couldn't understand the first thing about television interference! :)

Bill VE3EKJ

5. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I had asked for the correct spelling; but never mind, found this:

[​IMG]

6. AA5CT

Ya -

The things I could have built if I had just a GDO as a kid :)

7. KJ4RT

KJ4RT Ham Member QRZ Page

GigaParts has an 80 meter version model 80DBZ why not use it and just use it with a tuner for 40?

8. AA5CT

Oy. Trying to ween the op OFF this style antenna ...

9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Probably ineffective; the 80m double bazooka should appear as a short-circuit on 40m, so you'd be trying to load into something close to 0 Ohms Z.