3V8BB..this is a tuff one!

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by WB1EAD, Apr 23, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. WB1EAD

WB1EAD Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello all..I hope all you DXers are well and healthy..I've gotten a few e-mails asking how I'm doing on my "quest" for those wudda shudda cards I never asked for..to be truthful it ain't easy..some pleasant surprises and some not..soooo I've been concentrating on my "only one I got" in the log books and the rest I'll try for later after things get more normal..this one 3V8BB has been a terror..so many ops and so many even in one month..I've narrowed my search to YT1AD after going thru JF2EZA/F2KN/G0AZT and lots of others...have any of you tried to verify/exchange QSLs with Hrane..did it work out.?.this contact occurred in Oct 1998 during CQ WW contest..does anyone have more info and leads.?.I thought the 3C0 was a tuff one but this one so far has them beat.....thanks as always 73 de DAVE WB1EAD

2. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good luck with that one. The call has been used by many different contesters. I'd suggest trying to find who operated 3V8BB in the CQWW that year.

K0UO likes this.
  3. E73Y

E73Y Ham Member QRZ Page

4. WB1EAD

Thanks Boris..well there you are Bill..Boris comes thru with agn a nugget of knowledge..I did not know you cud reference contest ops..I'm 99% convinced now that YT1AD is the guy to get the card..b/4 anyone says I'm totally aware that a lot of postal systems will not allow outgoing mail at this time so maybe some fine day a new entity will show up in my mailbox....if anyone else has any further ideas I'm all ears...TNX Boris & Bill! 73 de DAVE WB1EAD

5. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Took me about 10 years and several tries to get it, but YT1AD did finally come thru with my card!

6. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Have it in the log 4 times over 7 years. Three of the four were contest QSOs and were confirmed via LoTW. The first was not a contest and in the notes it shows that the QSL route is via YT1AD. Did get a paper QSL for any of them as I already had those bands/modes confirmed.

7. N3PM

N3PM Ham Member QRZ Page

I worked and confirmed 3V8SF in Dec 18. That call and 3V8BB have LX1NO and KF5EYY in common on their page. Pretty sure I went thru LX1NO, even tho it says no QSLs via mail.
    EYY has a webpage and a "contact me" box. May be worth a shot if you haven't explored that approach yet.
    Mike N3PM

8. WB1EAD

Tnx Mike but yes I did contact him (KF5EYY)..he gave me YT1AD as the most probable operator at that time..and of course Boris had the CQWW contest sheet as well..I'm fully aware that restrictions there in 3V are greatly "relaxed" so I'm waiting on the next dxpedition as chances for the gud doctor YT1AD to respond are not gud because of our world situation..I'm "paying" for not getting those QSL cards out after I worked them way back then....
    73 de DAVE WB1EAD

9. NM7G

NM7G Ham Member QRZ Page

This clearly won't help you, but it is nevertheless an irony. 3V8BB came for me, twenty-some years ago, via the (paper) QSL bureau system. I was shocked to find it in the envelope.

10. WO7R

WO7R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

YT1AD is an active DXpeditioner and contester.

I looked here:

http://www.qslnet.de/member1/yt3w/yt1ad/logsearch.php

. . . and it does not show 3V8BB as one of the expeditions. That's a strange omission. Perhaps the 3V8B call sign listed is a typo for 3V8BB?

I would not send a card to YT1AD until I was sure that it was his expedition. You could end up on the bottom of a very large pile of QSLs he _is_ the manager for.

On this page: http://www.yt1ad.info/ham.html . . .he shows a few Tunisian calls but _not_ 3V8BB.

This archived DX Bulletin:

http://www.arrl.org/w1aw-bulletins-archive/ARLD007/1996

Shows him being at 3V8BB for 1996, not 1998.

On the other hand, I found this:

http://www.schaffrath.net/qsl/3v8bb.jpg That's him in the picture and N2JTX says it was 1998. . .

. . .which, to say the least, strongly suggests he was there for that operation. That was from N2JTX. I would suggest emailing N2JTX and see what the route was in 1998.

If I had to get that card, I would start with N2JTX. Email is cheap and probably fast.