3DA0WW team operation from Eswatini

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions and Special Events' started by NT2X, Oct 10, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. NT2X

NT2X Ham Member QRZ Page

DXpedition backyard. Too bad they don't grow in New York State, where I live.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of the operating locations is on the photo below. I wonder who brought the straight key and what for?

[​IMG]

Alex UT7UV reports lots of RF noise on HF bands. On one of the photos posted earlier, showing their cottage, there is a hill on the left with what looks like a cellular tower. Could it be the culprit? I sure hope they would run their lowband beverages away from that structure.

2. NT2X

NT2X Ham Member QRZ Page

Few more photos are seeping in from the ops. Antennas are up. Some well-wishers suggested buying and applying cayenne pepper to protect guy wires against canine encroachments, but that would not be necessary. She has been confined for the duration of the operation, and poses no danger to hams worldwide.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The low-bands vertical is up as well. They have been on 80 meters and promise to be on 160 shortly

[​IMG]

The have had some trouble with K3 transceiver on FT8, where is the frequency was shifting by 10 Hz every period. They were made aware of the problem, although I don't know if this is something they can fix in the field

[​IMG]

3. NT2X

NT2X Ham Member QRZ Page

Breakfast is being served by Alex UT7UV. From the photo I can discern eggs sunny side up, home fries, olives, tomatoes and either local bacon or sausage. I highly doubt though that the bottle contains tea or even coffee. Ah, what the heck, they don't have that far to crawl to their operating positions...

[​IMG]

4. NT2X

NT2X Ham Member QRZ Page

Their location has internet, but it is not very reliable. They often see themselves connected when in reality they are not.

This is what 12 meters (24 MHz) FT8 pile-up looks like from the other side. Some are expressing displeasure that 3DA0WW spends too much time on FT8 and not enough time on other modes. Frequently, though, CW pile-ups quickly run our of steam and they have to revert to where activity is.

[​IMG]

Hey, gang! Post your own impressions of the operation from this end of the pile-up; remarks, observations, "wants". Will surely pass them to the 3DA0WW team.

More to follow

73, Ed/NT2X

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
  5. NT2X

NT2X Ham Member QRZ Page

Beautiful South African sunsets. Enjoy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. NT2X

NT2X Ham Member QRZ Page

Observations by Pavel, UU0JR: We have lost electricity for several hours today. It may happen again. 28 MHz is open every day, even in complete darkness. SSB on that band yields a QSO every 2 minutes. At the same time FT8 frequencies are a buzzing beehive, full of activity. One of the stations spent entire day today on 18 MHz

From Alex, UT7UV: FT8 is totally unique experience - being called AT THE SAME TIME by Brazil, Japan, USA and assorted Europeans. Total mad house, hard to operate. Heavy fog moves through the area and causes water condensation on the Spider Beam; SWR is going nuts and it circuit protection forces the Expert amp to go into stand by.

There you have it, dispatches from the trenches

73, Ed/NT2X

7. NT2X

NT2X Ham Member QRZ Page

The "dog" story isn't over though. Earlier today, the cute doggie managed to escape from his confinement, by breaking the piece of welding that held the metal mesh you saw in an earlier image. That created an opening through which it got loose. Guess where did the dog go? To munch on the Spider Beam guy wire, instantly toppling it. Ah, the irresistible taste, once-in-a-life time experience. Damn you, doggie!

[​IMG]

The dog was eventually caught and re-interned, we hope for good. DXpedition is a dangerous business if you ask me.

Below is the image showing a somewhat futile effort to protect the beam guys from sharp teeth

[​IMG]

Dense fog caused water condensation - which also caused the Spider Beam to arc and catch fire. The same goes for 7 MHz vertical - the counterpoise was also on fire until extinguished. Fortunately, no major damage had occurred. Being 1206 meters above sea level, they are likely be catching the passing clouds which look like fog.

From Pavel, UU0JR: one other observation of the day: we can hear better and we are being heard better than the other DXpedition operating from 3DA0 at the same time, operating from a much lower altitude. It is most noticeable on low bands. By evening time, higher bands fold one after another, in succession. On FT8 the operators no longer see the calling stations on the waterfalls, but continue to make QSOs for another 40-50 minutes before the band is shot.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
  8. NT2X

NT2X Ham Member QRZ Page

The item below was found at a local Eswatini supermarket. Is every team member of 3DA0RU OK? We are concerned, really ;)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
  9. NT2X

NT2X Ham Member QRZ Page

10. NT2X

NT2X Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, they actually like Russians in South Africa. Now we know! ;)[​IMG]