ad: w5yi

3D2CR - faking the Fox/Hound Ft8 mode?

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by M0AGP, Sep 20, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. W1BR

W1BR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Dom's recent FB Rebel post:

Folks!
    The problem with missing RR73 comes from the pirate station that is trying to cause all the trouble. So if you have not got your RR73 you worked the crazy jammer!

M0AGP and N4UFO like this.
  2. M0AGP

M0AGP Ham Member QRZ Page

People with beams should try to triangulate the pirate

3. WL7PM

WL7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

. . But....... WHY ?

4. M0AGP

M0AGP Ham Member QRZ Page

He's trying to break some kind of QSO record right? And of course allow as many hams as possible a DX contact...

5. G0OIL

G0OIL Ham Member QRZ Page

er .... to try and get as many folks in the log as he can?

6. G0OIL

That could be one cause, but....

I remember calling the Russian guys in Africa earlier in the year (C92RU etc) on 160. Conditions were really marginal. Now please correct me if I'm wrong, but in FH mode the fox seems to listen for people calling higher up (1kHz+?), then QSYs them to about 350-550Hz for a QSO. If it doesn't receive your R-report after three attempts it seems to then stop listening. You can keep sending your report but the fox seems to ignore you as far as I can see. You have to call again with callsign and grid along with everyone else. It could just be that QSB dropped your signal and the DX no longer heard you during that 3-call window.

With the stations I mention above, there were several times that I called them, got a "G0OIL C92RU -20" but didn't get a RR73 and on those occasions I was NOT in the log. I was only in the long when I'd received a RR73.

As I say, if I'm wrong here, please correct me. I don't know how this mode really works but I'm happy to learn from those who do :)

As for the QRMer, we got used to this nonsense on SSB and CW and sadly now the idiot brigade seem to be QRMing FT8. About the one mode free of this stupidity is RTTY

7. N4UFO

N4UFO Ham Member QRZ Page

I believe your software moves you down to sit on same 'channel' that called you (sent you a report). Then if you don't get an RR73, it will move you back up above the Fox's channels but still below 1000.

AGREED. This is exactly what I have observed.

Yes. Exactly.

So, 1) I have seen the jammer send RR73

3d2cr pirate RR73.jpg

and 2) if your signal fades out, after a couple of attempts, it will quit (as you point out) and you won't get an RR73.

So Dom's statement that no RR73 equals jammer, is not exactly true, but we know what he was trying to get at. The truth is that the pirate's signal is much weaker than his most of the time, and while the pirate does send RR73, it's not very often, so odds are it's what Dom said a lot of the time.

Bottom line: No RR73? Either pirate or prop fade. But both have same solution. You are not in the log, so start over with calling.

Here's hoping we all get to work the real Dom! 73, Kevin N4UFO

8. N4UFO

N4UFO Ham Member QRZ Page

And guess what... Dom has no internet, right? So who the hell is logging in as him and reporting calls spotted to the PSKreporter network??? (from Hamspots.net)

3d2cr pirate logging in.jpg

I wonder if this could be traced to the source??? (I know little to nothing about PSK reporter)

9. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think it can be traced.

10. G0OIL

Right that makes more sense.