3D printer suggestions

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by N5KBP, Nov 18, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
  1. N5KBP

N5KBP Ham Member QRZ Page

I am ready to take the plung into 3D printing and looking for suggestions and what to lookout for.
    N5KBP

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

The Ender 3 Pro is a good price, If you do not mind assembling it from a kit.

The new Ender comes with a heated glass bed.

Look Out for getting addicted, And needing more and more filament to get your fix.

Enjoy.

N3RF and WB5THT like this.
  3. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A heated bed is important, but I think most of the models on sale now have one. Make sure that you buy one which can take generic filament in a widely available diameter - it will be cheaper to run that a printer that is only compatible with a limited range of OEM filaments...

Martin (G8FXC)

4. KA9JLM

I would also recommend a printer that runs the hot end on 24 Volts. 12 Volts does not cut it.

A enclosure is really nice to maintain temperature stability, And reduce noise.

Forget operating Radio when the printer is printing. With six PWM drivers operating there are many frequencies to mix.

Never leave your printer un-attended. Install a smoke alarm near it. You can put a camera on it to watch it from another room.

Running your printer on a UPS is a good idea, A power fail can make a mess.

Having Fun is the most important.

TGIF.

These are good to keep near your printer and with your filament.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
    WB5THT likes this.
  5. KJ7LVZ

KJ7LVZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I purchased an Ender 3 several years ago now. I enjoyed the assembling, tinkering, troubleshooting, upgrading, calibrating, etc. If you want a printer to just use, I'd suggest a Prusa printer. They work well out of the box and are built by what seems to be a good company.

6. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

7. N5KBP

K1LKP likes this.
  8. KA9JLM

Yes. That would make a good starter.

They are easy to work on, And parts are available.

The Pro is $37.00 more. https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Removable-Certified-8-66x8-66x9-84in-220x220x250mm/dp/B07GYRQVYV

Many parts (Upgrades) can be printed for that printer with that printer. :)

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
  9. N5KBP

Went to order it and came up with another couple of questions. Are all filaments created equal or are some brands better than others and Do I need to look at a cover for it?

10. KJ7LVZ

KJ7LVZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Not all filaments are created equal. I have been using Hatchbox exclusively. It's not the best but it is consistent and affordable. There are lots of fancy filaments to try but Hatchbox is fine to start with.