34’ Telescoping Mast Recommendation

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K9BAY, Aug 2, 2020 at 4:25 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. K9BAY

K9BAY Ham Member QRZ Page

I need a telescoping mast that will support a CushCraft R8. I have been looking at the ROHN 34’ telescoping mast. It will definitely be guyed down.
    There have been a few negative reviews, indicating that the ROHN mast is really difficult to push up. I wonder what it will be like with the R8 clamped on. The advantage of a telescoping mast is that I can lower and tilt the antenna when it storms. It is now presenting it as more difficult, especially for one person to manage.

I also read that people had difficulty inserting the mast into a EZ-32 base plate, being the base section is 2 1/4 inch diameter.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

2. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The Rohn masts are not intended to be used as pushup/down masts. They telescope for shipping and for setting a particular height. They have a close fit and high friction and are difficult if not impossible to try to telescope in place.

Configure the mast for desired height on the ground. Place the antenna on and raise or install the mast and then place the antenna.

*You may need to admit that you need to ask for help!
    hint: A case of cold beer and grilled steaks are a known attractant for hams. :)

3. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Not sure what the manufacture’s intent was - My experience with the 40 foot version of this mast is that, even when in the vertical position, it’s easy to adjust as long as you don’t over-tighten the collars which can distort and bind the sections. I routinely raise/lower it during our unpredictable weather here.
    I suspect the few bad reviews you read were the result of operator error.

4. K9BAY

Typical of Hams...

One comment says it isn’t meant to be raised and lowered it is just telescoping for shipping. And the other response indicates it can be raised and lowered..

Anybody else raise and lower your antenna with the ROHN telescoping mast?

Thanks!

5. KU4X

KU4X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just throwing a spitball here - what are the manufacturer's recommendations and warnings?

Regards,
    -Bruce

KS2G likes this.
  6. K9BAY

Good point...

Maybe I’ll ask DX Engineering who is a distributor.

It does make sense for even raising the antenna. I would think it would be difficult to raise an assembled , even if it were threaded sections of 34’ plus the 28’ antenna. Mounting the antenna and raising it straight up and locking sections as you go makes more sense.

Thats why I am posting this question on this forum.

Thanks!

7. NE3Z

NE3Z Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I had a R8 for 15 years at ten feet and worked the world.

Trying to get it up any higher with the pains involved I would never do, can't believe it would make a difference.

Just my personal unsolicited input:p

WA8FOZ likes this.
  8. K9BAY

the R8 is designed to be elevated with its radial system.

I have it about 5’ above the ground now on a tripod. I have done OK.. Mostly on FT8. But that might be a result of poor band conditions.

I could raise it another 8 feet as I have another section of pipe. But the general consensus is higher is better. Now it is near trees, and I want to get it away from the trees and up in the air, at least above my roof line.

Thanks!

9. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

My vertical is 20' off the turf and I wish I could put it up another 20'. Then the whole ratio of returns thing pops up...

10. NE3Z

NE3Z Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The maker says 10 feet is fine, and it is. Even at 10 feet I had to get the guidewire kit they sell to keep it from looking like a banana, which the first R8 looked like. It was bend badly then got hit by lightning, so insurance bought the second one. I gave it away after 15 years and it's still in use. I worked tons of DX with it. I use wires only now, they are quieter and the fact I am below 500HZ too so....good luck getting it that high and keeping it there;)