33cm Experiances

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by W6LDK, Dec 1, 2019 at 3:06 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W6LDK

W6LDK Ham Member QRZ Page

Would anyone care to share their experiences with 33cm band? What kind of antenna do you use... elevation, gain, omni-vs-directional, etc.? What radio and type of emission are you using?

I recently acquired a used Kenwood TK-981 and a used Aston 918-6. I'm waiting for a length of ½-inch hardline to be made up and a hardline grounding kit, then I have to install it. I also considered building a multi-element vertical co-linear. Tuning will be the tricky part as most affordable SWR meters and analyzers do not reach these frequencies.

Just curious.

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm not on 33 cm FM at all, and really never was, but am set up for 33 cm SSB/CW.

20W output to a 33 element horizontally polarized loop yagi, rotatable of course. "Range" isn't much different from 70cm or 23cm, and often it's the "same stations" heard/worked as those two bands.

One fun thing about these higher UHF and even SHF bands is when there's a tropo duct they often work much better, stronger signals over longer distances, than VHF. But unfortunately we can't "make" a duct, you just have to wait for one to happen and hope you'll be near your equipment (and others will be also) when it happens.

3. KE4VNC

KE4VNC Ham Member QRZ Page

4. W6KCS

W6KCS Ham Member QRZ Page

When I added 900 to my repeater system, I found that the mobile coverage was about 2/3 that of 450, with about the same ERP. It was also hard to get rid of the Part 15 device noise on the repeater receiver. You'll probably want to use receive PL, too, if you experience a lot of momentary squelch-openings. All of the 900 repeaters that I know of transmit PL so you can do this at the receive end.

I ended up using 300 watts on the repeater (about 150W into a 9 dBd omni paging antenna) and three-receiver voting on directional RX antennas to equal the 450 coverage, but luckily 900 surplus equipment is cheap and plentiful, at least around here.

There are a lot of 902-928 antennas to choose from since the band is also used for unlicensed equipment. Omnis, Yagis, grids, etc. are cheap and easy to come by. Just google "902-928 antenna" to see what I mean. I wouldn't bother making an antenna unless you are really determined.

Lots of mobiles and portables are available. The Motorola MTX9250 is my favorite portable, but there are some others.