30 meters, where is everyone?

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by W3HIZ, Nov 29, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. VE3BXG

VE3BXG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Agree. I look at 30 a lot and call a lot (CW) and I see very little activity. Occasionally snag something interesting - Madeira the other day and French Guiana in November. But overall I find it very quiet on 30.

2. W7DCM

W7DCM Ham Member QRZ Page

I got Madeira during the CW contest this weekend. I have noticed that several contest stations will go on the air the night before and call CQ.....just to make sure everything's ready. I worked one in Suriname on 30 the night before the contest.

3. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

When I first got on 30M, around 1985 or later, my main rig was just the old 5 bands from 80 to 10M, I ended up geting a MFJ9030 and using a Butternut HF6V antenna.
    I was able to make a lot of contacts into Europe as well as the continental 48 States and Canada with the 5 Watt rig ! !
    Today I usually Check WWV and CHU signals , when I get to the radio room, to see what bands may be open.
    Sometimes WWV in Colorado is blasting in on 10 MHz but no signals are heard on 30M. If I get on 10120 kHz and Call CQ long enough I may get a QSO going ! I usually am looking for SKCC members who mostly operate between 10118 and 10122 on 30M.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  4. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

30 M QSOs in 2019
    Just Checked my LogBook, ,
    So far this year I have worked a little 30M, maybe less than 5 percent of my QSOs, and have worked;
    AZ, CO, IA, IL, KS, MA, MI, MO, NC, NY, OK, TN, TX, VA , and WV so far. All on CW with 95 W and a double Zepp antenna up 35 Ft.

5. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

W H A T ? , there is no contesting on 30 M !...Or is that your retreat when the contesting on the old "5 bands" is overwhelming ??

6. W7DCM

W7DCM Ham Member QRZ Page

Clarifying......I worked a station in Suriname on 30 meters. He went down there for a contest. The night before, he operated on 30.

I go where the fish are biting.....contest or no contest. For example, I got up at 2 AM local time this to see what I could do on 40 meters (and picked up a few countries on that band). This afternoon I hung out on 10 and 15 since I need states on both bands.

7. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

people just need to LISTEN for band openings. I worked switzerland and sweden yeterday on 30m CW around 2200 UTC - both were real 599 - 30m is a great band but seems to have fallen away from popularity lately..

K0UO likes this.