30 meters, where is everyone?

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by W3HIZ, Nov 29, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. VE3BXG

VE3BXG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Agree. I look at 30 a lot and call a lot (CW) and I see very little activity. Occasionally snag something interesting - Madeira the other day and French Guiana in November. But overall I find it very quiet on 30.

2. W7DCM

W7DCM Ham Member QRZ Page

I got Madeira during the CW contest this weekend. I have noticed that several contest stations will go on the air the night before and call CQ.....just to make sure everything's ready. I worked one in Suriname on 30 the night before the contest.

3. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

When I first got on 30M, around 1985 or later, my main rig was just the old 5 bands from 80 to 10M, I ended up geting a MFJ9030 and using a Butternut HF6V antenna.
    I was able to make a lot of contacts into Europe as well as the continental 48 States and Canada with the 5 Watt rig ! !
    Today I usually Check WWV and CHU signals , when I get to the radio room, to see what bands may be open.
    Sometimes WWV in Colorado is blasting in on 10 MHz but no signals are heard on 30M. If I get on 10120 kHz and Call CQ long enough I may get a QSO going ! I usually am looking for SKCC members who mostly operate between 10118 and 10122 on 30M.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  4. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

30 M QSOs in 2019
    Just Checked my LogBook, ,
    So far this year I have worked a little 30M, maybe less than 5 percent of my QSOs, and have worked;
    AZ, CO, IA, IL, KS, MA, MI, MO, NC, NY, OK, TN, TX, VA , and WV so far. All on CW with 95 W and a double Zepp antenna up 35 Ft.

5. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

W H A T ? , there is no contesting on 30 M !...Or is that your retreat when the contesting on the old "5 bands" is overwhelming ??

6. W7DCM

Clarifying......I worked a station in Suriname on 30 meters. He went down there for a contest. The night before, he operated on 30.

I go where the fish are biting.....contest or no contest. For example, I got up at 2 AM local time this to see what I could do on 40 meters (and picked up a few countries on that band). This afternoon I hung out on 10 and 15 since I need states on both bands.

7. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

people just need to LISTEN for band openings. I worked switzerland and sweden yeterday on 30m CW around 2200 UTC - both were real 599 - 30m is a great band but seems to have fallen away from popularity lately..

K0UO likes this.
  8. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

30 M Log
    So far this month , I have not been very active on 30 M,
    8/1 - 2 QSOs on 30 M, 8/4- 2 QSOs, 8/9 - 1 QSO, 8/15 - 1 QSO on 30 M !
    Tuning the lower half of the band, I have heard some DX but my interest is actually looking for other SKCC members to work.
    I have worked my share of DX and not interested in jumping into any pile ups !

9. W7DCM

I've been making an effort to show up more on 30 meters. It doesn't seem like the activity picks up until there is an hour or so left of daylight here. I know it has to be open earlier, but I don't hear very much. Anyway, it's a fun band. Unfortunately I have this competing interest called 60 meters.

10. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

They are all on FT8 on 20, the rest of us CW operators are all going SK. !
    Old HAMs just fade away