30 meters, where is everyone?

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by W3HIZ, Nov 29, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. W3HIZ

W3HIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello to all,
    I have been watching 30 meter activity, or the lack there of.
    I have had chats in the past on this band, however they are few.
    Any thoughts?
    73 de W3HIZ
    Wayne

N4FZ likes this.
  2. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't feel like you're all alone OM.
    Poor propagation mostly to blame.
    I have had better results the past two yrs than all of 2018.
    Whar are you calling at?
    All CW here.

K0UO and N4FZ like this.
  3. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So far this year I have 1,556 contacts on 30 meters, almost all CW and a few digital. Last year I had over 2,500 contacts on 30 meters but most of them were from my mobile station ( Screwdriver ). This year most on 30 meters using a 10-element LPDA at 73 feet.

People keep saying poor propagation this and poor propagation that. I rather think it is simply different propagation. Means we need to adapt.

Maybe a better antenna?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    K0UO and N2OTG like this.
  4. W3HIZ

W3HIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Peter, maybe I need to increase RF Gain more too. hi
    Wayne

5. KC9YGN

KC9YGN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That's odd because 30 meters has been a hot band for me with digital modes like FT8 this year. At the moment (14:00 UTC) I'm seeing a half dozen EU stations coming in on FT8 and a ton of US stations. No CW at the moment but there were quite a few stations on CW 30M the other day.

N4FZ likes this.
  6. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Wayne, one of things I do is study propagation patterns and choose my operating times and bands accordingly.

I would expect 30 meters to be alive and well even in times of minimal sunspots. On 12 meters I expect the band to be dead most of the time, yet I have over 320 contacts this year on 12 meters.

One trick you may already be aware of is to call CQ on CW and then check the RBN ( Reverse beacon Network ) and see who hears you. That will tell you if the band is open and to where. Sometimes it is simply a lack of activity and not propagation. But calling CQ can trigger a band "opening" as others see it on RBN. Sometimes I just leave my panadapter running across an entire band segment while I do other things and when I notice a signal I offer a reply.

K7GQ and W1TRY like this.
  7. K6GB

K6GB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Worked ZS6 on 30 Sunday on FT8, 30 watts from So-Cal.

WG7X likes this.
  8. W7DCM

W7DCM Ham Member QRZ Page

I bagged PZ a few weeks ago on 30.

9. W9YAP

W9YAP Ham Member QRZ Page

I listen on 30 quite often and I usually hear a few decent CW and Digital sigs, not a lot, but considerably better than 40 at times.
    I cannot efficiently tune 30 on my current antenna, so I'm going to hang a dedicated 30M antenna so I can fire up my newly built 30M OHR100A and Cricket 30. Hope to be on in the next week or two.

KI5WW likes this.
  10. W7DCM

W7DCM Ham Member QRZ Page

I hope we end up QSOing!