3-500z Getter Question

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by KD8AZC, Nov 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KD8AZC

KD8AZC Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello to all on QRZ!

I recently purchased a Heathkit SB-220 amplifier to rebuild in spare time and upon disassembly noticed one of the 3-500z tubes has what appears to be a chrome like barium getter. There does not appear to be any logo or markings on the tube envelope except "3-500z" in small red letters in one location. Having never heard of a barium getter in a 3-500z, is there anyone who could provide any info or thoughts?

Thanks,
    Scott

2. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Can you post a picture??

3. KD8AZC

I'll try to get a pic or two when I get home tonight.

4. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Sheet metal or graphite anode? I remember a very early Chinese graphite version with one, late 80's or so. There were even Chinese ones with metal plates, never had problems with either supplier; that came later when the crap companies came along.

Carl

5. KD8AZC

Sheet metal type like the original Eimac. It does appear to be Chinese or a spinoff.

Scott

6. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Nit picking but the original Eimac was graphite; rumor has it that Philips built them until Eimac got the line running. The early SB-220's, Henry's, etc were shipped with graphite.

http://www.g8wrb.org/data/Eimac/3-500Z-older-edition.pdf

Carl

7. KD8AZC

Thanks for the info, I stand corrected, and learned something at the same time. Unfortunately I came into the hobby too late and missed out on a lot. I have never had the wonderful experience of seeing the metal anode 3-500z glow but look forward to it and hope to remedy that soon. Along with some 4-1000's when I get free time.:D

Scott

8. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

It sure looks good. :)

9. KD8AZC

Here are a couple pics of the tube. Hope they are usable pics.

Scott

3500z getter1.jpg 3500z getter2.jpg

10. KI6LZ

KI6LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't think that's a getter. Looks more like a heat shield I've seen on 3-500s.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.